Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Terrible Tuesday

Nothing good happened at Fenway Park Tuesday night as the Detroit Tigers defeated the Boston Red Sox 7-2. Tim Wakefield just didn't have it, giving up 4 runs in the 3rd inning. The Tigers never looked back.....they didn't have to. Justin Verlander changed speeds all night, hitting 99 MPH on a few fastballs while mixing in his off-speed stuff. The Sox batters were off balance. Case closed. Signed, sealed and delivered. The Tigers win! As our Big Papi put it, and this is from the Herald, with thanks....

“You don’t see a power pitcher (Verlander) with that kind of stuff every day,” designated hitter David Ortiz said. “This guy can pop 96, 97 (mph) like it’s nothing and when he wants, he can throw 100. And then he has an 86 mph change. That’s what makes him so good, the way he can change speeds."

Peter here, and Verlander uses the changes of speed so well. And that is one of the most effective weapons a pitcher can have. With smarts, a mix of movement and changes of pitch speed, the results can and will always be devastating.
The upcoming New York Yankee series, which looms ever larger as the days go by, is coming up so soon, a matter of days. We saw another Sox starter go down. JD Drew slammed his lower back into the upper part of the rightfield wall, the part of the wall without padding. He is day to day. Even the 'pen was porous. At least it was when Donnelly was pitching. He gave up 3 hits and 2 earned runs in two thirds of an inning. But the game was already lost before he entered the game. Kyle Snyder finished things up, and after the Sox went down in the bottom of the 9th, I said to myself......."turn the page." Done.

Tonight it's Maroth versus Tavarez. I know that Jon Lester cannot return soon enough. But the Sox are in fine shape at 26-12 with a nice 8 game bulge over their hated rivals, the Yankees. The season marches on, and we march right along with it. Night Fenway baseball......it doesn't get any better. And click on the title of this post for a little something on Julian Tavarez's dwindling days as a member of the Sox rotation. Have a great Hump Day as we hope for better things tonight!

15 Comments:

At 5/16/2007 7:20 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Yikes!

I just hope that my Sunday Game, isn't another "Bleak Futures At Fenway" Game.

 
At 5/16/2007 7:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

You have Daisuke Sunday! On the eve of a Yankee series that pitching matchup-wise favors the Yanks. Have tremendous fun!!!! And a win tonight would be so nice...any 5th starter game that results in a victory is icing on the cake, until Jon gets back. Then I will expect them......more than I do know. And Curt has to not run out gas in the 6th or 7th, too. But I'm getting ahead of myself, by 36 hours or so.

 
At 5/16/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And "know" equals "now"....it's early. And humid, with rain coming that should not, but might, be a factor at the Fens tonight.

 
At 5/16/2007 10:06 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Sox win tonight by about 13-2. Just a hunch.

 
At 5/16/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger VTek said...

When JD got hurt last night, I wondered why they didn't have any padding down that part of the wall as well. It was hard to watch the replays ouch!

 
At 5/16/2007 10:20 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

13 runs tonight would really be fun!

Am I reading the schedule wrong? It looks like Daisuke will pitch Saturday ... and Wake on the mound Sunday. That would make our 5, 1 and 2 pitchers facing the MFY next week.

 
At 5/16/2007 12:23 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

It's strange how a team can look *so good* one night and uhmm *really bad* the next. Oh well. We'll get 'em tonight.

I hope Josh's "avulsion" heals soon.

 
At 5/17/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Faithy said...

Kristen, I agree. But as an O's fan I am used to seeing the best of the best one day, and a bunch of bums the next. Seems to be our special unique talent.

One I suggest your team not try to emulate. LOL

 
At 5/17/2007 7:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, unless I'm mixing up my days, Daisuke went Tuesday and Wakes Wednesday. That would mean Daisuke and Wakes Sunday and Monday, but who knows with the Friday rainstorm, and plenty of rain with it, that's coming in late late Thurday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't thnk so. Sul, that WOULD have been nice...Kristin, that's baseball, I guess....hi faithy! Great to see you here....everyone, have a great Thursday....we play 2.

 
At 5/17/2007 7:16 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

WAIT, you're right BFW. Daisuke pitched Monday, Wakes Tuesday...my mistake.....thank yoy for illuminating me with your knowlege!!!!

 
At 5/17/2007 7:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I guess my mind has been preoccupied with worry about my crazy glucose level. Sometimes my "formula" of what I eat, when I eat it, how much insulin I take and how much treadmilling I do, a formula that usually keeps my sugar between 65 and 120, is not working. I hope it goes back to normal...I hope. I'm sad enough to cry tears of frustration, so if I seem a little scattered, now you know why. Thanks...you guys, my readers, are the best. I survive to write yet again BECAUSE of you. And for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

 
At 5/17/2007 9:30 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

No problem, Peter ... I just love to read your stuff all the time. I hope your sugar levels get to where it doesn't bother you. I know how frustrating it can be ... I probably ignore mine too much. Keep up the good work.

 
At 5/17/2007 9:43 AM, Blogger VTek said...

I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and did not think it was fun. Hope your plan gets back on track!

 
At 5/17/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW..thank you..I hope it's one of those 2 days of unpredictability. I HOPE....type one, as you know, isn't easy. And Carol, thanks for your nice words! You guys are the best.

 
At 5/17/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Carol, MOST of the time these last two and a half years my "plan", which is common sense mixed with despair, works! And so far today, I'm OK. But it's not easy to always have worries in my mind when I should be happy. Thanks again......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home