Tuesday, May 22, 2007

More Darkman, From Michael Silverman's (of the Boston Herald) Blog.

**My post about Monday's Red Sox-Yankee game follows this post.**

This was in the Boston Herald's Michael Silverman blog last night, before the NY game. He's asked the public to help him with a nickname for Hideki Okajima. I've called Okajima "THE DARKMAN" since the beginning of March ( my March 3rd, 2007 post), and many of you (but not enough!) have emailed him, per his request. With that thought in mind, here is Michael's blog post from Tuesday......and huge thanks go to one of the best sportswriters I've EVER read......
***************************************************
"Sorry, Darkman"

Posted by Michael Silverman at 7:42 pm. Tuesday May 21, 2007

NEW YORK — "This giving Hideki Okajima a nickname business is getting interesting. I’ve gotten some great responses so far — they will be revealed later – but first a clarification.
It was Peter, not Ian, who came up with the Darkman nickname. Click on his link (http://peteronall.blogspot.com/) to find some passionate feelings about Darkman. Maybe I could be persuaded someday but for now I’m going to stick to my guns for variations on “Mr. Sorry.'’
This is important stuff, so let’s not stop discussing it."
*****************************************************
Peter here, and let's PERSUADE HIM! Mr. Sorry? Wimp-like. Hideki doesn't have to apologise to anyone for striking them out or at least making them look foolish. The Darkman? Much better. This is Peter, and let's not stop. Let's keep sending Michael emails at his Boston Herald web address. The more the better. And you don't need MY link, because you're already here! I've received emails from so many Red Sox fans in Japan who tell me that already our Hideki Okajima is known as the Darkman, even in the newspapers! So please, use the following addy and just let Michael Silverman know that the Darkman is so perfect a nickname for our "hero of the dark," the best lefthanded reliever in baseball, our very own Hideki Okajima. The enemy of our enemies for many years to come. He's helped to make our bullpen the best in all of baseball. Here is Mr. Silverman's email addess......please spread the DARKMAN'S new nickname.......OUR lefthanded bullpen "the best one there is" pitcher....in MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL!!

msilverman@bostonherald.com

And don't click on it, just use this address to send him an email! Thank you, my faithful readers. And even if it doesn't work out, we've made a statement. And huge thanks go to Ian of Sox & Dawgs....his blog link is on my link list, and should be an everyday everway read! Blogs do not get any better. Thank you Ian, from the bottom of my heart. And to all of you who have already emailed Michael Silverman, whether from America or Japan, and there are both, and to all of you who might be just ABOUT to email him, thank you. And please JUST DO IT! If you haven't yet, just use the above Boston Herald addy and tell him what you think, and where you heard the nic DARKMAN. He's a very nice guy.

I have the best readers in the world, each and every one of you, and my heart swells with pride and thanks. GO Red Sox....FOREVER!!!!! You make my blogging so great...but I think you already knew that! Oh, click on this very post's title!!

14 Comments:

At 5/22/2007 8:00 AM, Blogger Faithy said...

"Mr Sorry" is the sorriest nickname I have ever heard. I wouldn't take it personally that you disagree with a complete idiot like that. Jeeze!!!!

BTW: All the news here is about firing the manager. Whatever happened to working with someone, not just "blame the Game and Fire when Ready"

We are surrounded by fools, so it is doubly nice to find islands of intelligence like this one.

 
At 5/22/2007 8:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Faithy...can you email Michael Silverman at this addy and suggest your support for THE DARKMAN, and where you heard it? Please???? You'd make me so happy, ex-RGQer. Here's his addy.....
msilverman@bostonherald.com
Thank you! Peter

 
At 5/22/2007 9:04 AM, Blogger Suldog said...

Hey, at least you got credit where your credit was due! Good job!

 
At 5/22/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Sul...hey, did you ever get a softball game in???? And tonight, GO JULIAN! No Yankee sweep, please!!!!!

 
At 5/22/2007 10:01 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Maybe Michael is just trying to be different from Gordon Edes & the Globe?

 
At 5/22/2007 10:01 AM, Blogger Midnight Sun said...

I've emailed the boston herald guy again (with a different email account). i think i made a pretty good arguement and hopefully we'll convince him to stay away from "the sorriest nickname I have ever heard" (faith).

Think about it, Tornado Nomo, Monster Matsuzaka, Gozilla Matsui, Darkman Okajima. It just sounds so awesome. Imagine if you replaced Okajima's nickname to "Sorryman". ahhh~~ IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! lets all try and convince silverman~!

 
At 5/22/2007 10:44 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

white night you are so right! That sorry nickname just doesn't fit ... we'll definitely keep on using our favorite nickname & hopefully everyone else will see the light with our Darkman. I emailed Michael Silverman again, too.

Tonight: Let's break out the bats Boston!

 
At 5/22/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! And you make me so very happy!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

 
At 5/22/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

7 runs tonight...I see it!

 
At 5/22/2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

"Mr Sorry" is a terrible nickname. He's Darkman! On my way to send and email.

 
At 5/22/2007 2:13 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Kristin...thank you...with ALL of the emails, I think...I think we might do it. So thank you so very much!!!!!!!!

 
At 5/22/2007 3:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's 3:44pm here on the east coast....only 2 hours plus from THAT game...thanks, every one of you! Final score? I wish I knew....6-4 SOX!

 
At 5/22/2007 4:56 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& "DARKMAN" was marvelous on Sunday, as I was at Fenway for the rain delayed game:

IS a GREAT ONE

 
At 5/23/2007 9:00 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And wow, my 12:08 comment predicted how many runs the Sox would score late night (Tu.)....I know I'm good, but not THAT good!
Again, thank you so so much for your support of THE DARKMAN. He's out there working to make us happy and life miserable for our opponents, so it's the least we can do to give hime a nickname with some ooomph!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home