Monday, May 14, 2007

Are You Kidding Me??????

I had just about given up. The Red Sox were being shut out by the Baltimore Oriole's pitcher Jeremy Guthrie and it was the bottom of the 9th with the score 5-0 Birds. And then this series of events took place, started by an innocent dropped pop up by catcher Ramon Hernandez. Let me take you back. This is from the Hartford Courant, and I thank them........

"The Red Sox scored six runs in the ninth - the final two on Julio Lugo's infield single and Ray's error with the bases loaded and two outs - to pull out a 6-5 victory before a delirious crowd of 36,379 at Fenway Park. The Red Sox increased their lead over the Orioles and Yankees in the AL East to eight games.
"It's amazing," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "A dropped popup, and the next thing you know, a combination of some magic here and some really good players that don't quit. On a day when it was awfully quiet, we didn't mail it in at the end and kept playing."
On Sunday, Perlozzo's decision to lift Guthrie with one out, after catcher Ramon Hernandez dropped Coco Crisp's popup in front of the plate, doomed the Orioles. Guthrie, making his third start, had thrown 91 pitches and retired eight in a row before Hernandez's error.
But Perlozzo came out and summoned Danys Baez to face Ortiz.
Ortiz greeted Baez with a double to center, scoring Crisp with the first run and injecting new life into the ballpark.
Wily Mo Pena followed with a single, Ray replaced Baez, and the rally was on. Ray (3-3, 4.35 ERA), who gave up a late grand slam to Pena last month in Baltimore to lose a game, walked J.D. Drew and Kevin Youkilis to force in the second run, then allowed a double to right by Jason Varitek to make it 5-4.
After Hinske was walked intentionally to reload the bases, Alex Cora hit a chopper to second. Brian Roberts threw home and barely got Youkilis for the force and the second out.
Lugo worked a full count, then hit a chopper wide of first. Kevin Millar flipped the ball slightly behind Ray, who appeared to have a half-step on Lugo in the race to the bag. But Ray dropped the ball, allowing both Varitek and Hinske to score to win the game."

Peter here. and as the crowd went delirious at Fenway and in their living rooms, the Sox players raced out of the dugout for a mass celebration just as if they were shot out of a cannon. 6 runs scored in the bottom of the 9th. AMAZING! The Red Sox have an 8 game lead in the AL East. and the best record in baseball. This win was reminicent of the Cardiac kids, those 1967 Boston Red Sox who never gave up and always found a way to win, and so many of those improbable comebacks were due to Carl Yastrezemski, who had the most clutch season any Sox player has ever had, and I'm including Big Papi!
So the Sox are now 25-11 with the red hot until yesterday Detroit Tigers coming to town. And on a sobering note, Josh Beckett has a piece of ripped skin on the middle finger of his pitching hand. I linked an article about it. Just click on the title of this post. It's likely he'll miss his next start. If that's all he misses, we'll have to consider ourselves lucky. Let's hope so. But there was nothing lucky about yesterday's win. That was pure magic! Red Sox magic. The best kind.

17 Comments:

At 5/14/2007 6:57 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It's an incredible game:

It was a Gift;

We'll take it;

I'll be at Fenway, Sunday.

 
At 5/14/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I enjoyed that Millar toss.....this was the 2nd time, Michael, that a manager has pulled the plug on a pitcher with disaster as the result! Woo Woo!!!!

 
At 5/14/2007 7:03 AM, Blogger VTek said...

A gift for all the mothers waiting to run the bases after the game! And poor Josh, for the injury and bad timing!

 
At 5/14/2007 7:50 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Carol, and it was so wonderful, not just for the Sox win but to be able to run the hallowed bases with your wonderful child.....that's what I was thinking while watching NESN. The Mom's will never forget, and their children, I hope, will have graet memories. I know I would have. Too late for me to be a child running Fenway's bases. But I lived through the smiles on the Mom's faces, and their children. I was touched.
Thanks for your comments.....always. Pete

 
At 5/14/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Faithy said...

I'm still crying. . . I bet Guthrie was a very angry young man last night. I would have been.

 
At 5/14/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Faithy, no crying in baseball...I know what a huge O's fan you are, and they will run over most teams! Have a great Monday, and thanks for your comments!

 
At 5/14/2007 2:46 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Awwww, Come On. You'd cry tooif you were two outs away from a 5-0 win and then just, just, Lost, Waaaaa

 
At 5/14/2007 3:28 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

What a dumb-ass move by the manager. Managing by the book - must get relief in, even if the starter is magnificent. He deserves every kick in the a## he gets.

 
At 5/14/2007 5:44 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Faithy, I agree! Sul.....you too!

 
At 5/14/2007 8:45 PM, Blogger Faithy said...

Suldog and PeterN - Thanks for the sympathy. Believe me he's hearing it from here.

 
At 5/14/2007 10:27 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

THAT MANAGER IS BAD THATS ALL I CAN SAY!

 
At 5/15/2007 6:45 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And then there was Daisuke!

 
At 5/15/2007 8:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Faithy, I hope you come back and comment, not only when your O's play our Sox. PLEASE!! And Kaylee, well said, and I'm happy you showed your Mom my Mother's Day post. You made me smile when all I was doing was writing what my heart feels. And that's easy for me..my heart controls my emotions, and I'm full of emotion.
GO SOX. Go Timmy!! Tonight.

 
At 5/15/2007 8:48 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

yore welcome i just had to shoe it to her:-)

 
At 5/15/2007 8:49 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

*youre sorry.

 
At 5/15/2007 8:50 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

and shoe=show i am tired forgive me.

 
At 5/16/2007 7:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

No need to forgive you! You're always there with a comment! How great is that!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home