Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Let Down? Jays Thump Sox

It's games like this one that make it hard to write a summary post. With the Sox clinging to a one run lead in the top of the 6th, it all came apart. A Frank Thomas home run that was still rising when it crashed into the Citgo sign was the ultimate difference, although the run credited to Piniero and the 2 given up by Timlin certainly ended it early for the sell-out crowd. Sloppy play and general listlessness because all the emotions were drained in the 3 game sweep of the Yankees? That's a question without an answer. But hey, our record is 12-6....that's nothing to sneeze at. Jeez, I just literally sneezed as I typed those words. I hope that doesn't put the spell of disaster on tonight's game. If it does, I'll do my best to never sneeze again. It's the least I can do for our Sox, the team of dreams. OUR dreams.
Back to tonight's game....it's a rematch of last week's Sox victory over the Jays. Halladay versus Tavarez. A seeming mismatch that 5 days ago resulted in another win for the Boston club. Can lightning strike twice ? Can we leave Fenway tonight with another one under our belts? The odds say NO in a firm loud voice. But I say this. Who cares about the odds....Tavarez for 6 good ones and then maybe the Darkman into Donnelly into Paps. A recipe for victory? We'll see, tonight, at our favorite place in all the world. 7pm.
I also wanted to express my thanks to all of you, my good friends, who have emailed and commented here with your good wishes on my Gordon Edes' mention in the Globe. You warmed my heart, and I'll never forget it. His article about the back to back to back to back taters (I LOVE typing that!) is linked....just click on the post's title....easy! Here's a taste.......

"The probability of four consecutive home runs is p to the fourth power, or p times p times p times p. That equals .000000673, which in this case means there is a 1 in 1.4 million chance."

But we did it! Why? RED SOX FOREVER. Pure and simple.

6 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Beazer said...

Very cool, Peter!

 
At 4/24/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Beaz....I wish last night's game was cool! Tavarez and Halladay yet again...a toughie.

 
At 4/24/2007 1:06 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

It was sad to hear about the death of David Halberstam ... my thoughts & prayers go out to his wife & family. He was an excellent writer & storyteller. His Summer of '49 & Teammates were very good books. It is a very tragic loss.

 
At 4/24/2007 1:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know.....

 
At 4/25/2007 12:02 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

NOT A GOOD GAME TONIGHT:D

 
At 4/25/2007 11:14 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

K....Tuesday's game was even WORSE!!! On to Baltimore, soft shell crabs and hopefully 2 wins.... before NYC looms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home