Saturday, March 10, 2007

Birthday Guy Mike Timlin Shut Down

41st birthday guy Mike Timlin, would-be closer for the 2007 Boston Red Sox, has been ordered to do no throwing for one week. Said Tito, from the Herald.......

“He’s going to be one week, no throwing,” said manager Terry Francona. “The tenderness he felt . . . is in a smaller area, which I think is good. But he still feels it, and we don’t want this to turn into a season-long fiasco, where he feels OK, the next week he feels a little worse, and two weeks later he’s worse.”
Timlin, who turns 41 today, has gained momentum in recent days as a viable option at closer. He said on Thursday that he wants the job, but yesterday’s news put those thoughts on hold."

Peter here, and the entire article can be seen by clicking on the title. And I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'll shout it from the roofstops and write a song about it. And that is this......I remain convinced that if Mike Timlin, nice guy that he is, becomes our full time closer, the club will suffer. Deep doo doo. Big trouble in little Fenway. However you want to phrase it, HE IS NOT THE ANSWER. Or as the Herald put it.....

"Just a hiccup?? Red Sox fans better hope that’s all it is. With Timlin out, now the Sox lack a closer and a set-up man."

Well said, Steve Buckley. How much has the club spent to assemble this brilliant array of talent? A collection of great position players and pitchers, but absolutely no back end to the bullpen. It just doesn't make any sense to me. None whatsoever!!! How long can this go on? I need your comments. I need 'em bad.
I'll be back with more Soxness a little later.

6 Comments:

At 3/10/2007 1:38 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Games, today, are WON or LOST, from the 'Pen:

The SOX Pen is already giving me agita.

 
At 3/10/2007 2:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, agita? Lucky you! I sense doom! Remember what I said in mid-June..OK? Take care...Peter

 
At 3/10/2007 2:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Timlin as an answer is like using a water-soluble magic marker in the rain............

 
At 3/10/2007 8:31 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TIMLIN BUT,you are not a closer!

 
At 3/10/2007 10:04 PM, Blogger laura said...

Timlin out is probably better than Timlin in, I am sad to say. Hopefully he will put it together for one last year.

 
At 3/11/2007 6:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I agree with Kaylee and Laura...he could be valuable as a set-up guy, but closer? Deep trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home