Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tavarez Happy, Pesky Sad

With Paps safely back where he belongs in the closer's role, the 5th spot in the rotation was wide open. And Julian Tavarez, who did such a great job stepping in as a starter last season after the team was literally decimated by injuries, was named to take over that 5th spot and again start for the club. He was originally destined to become a member of the bullpen, something that didn't exactly thrill him. This is from the Courant, and then a word from me......

"With the announcement March 22 that Papelbon's starting experiment was officially over, Tavarez went from questionable closer candidate to definite fifth starter.
"It was like a dream come true," Tavarez said. "I didn't think it was going to happen."

After going 5 and 2/3 innings against the Phillies yersterday and giving up only one run, it seems he's just about ready. His first start will be against Texas on April 7th. Go get them Julian.

And now on to something that's a little sadder. Our elder statesman, much loved former Red Sox infielder Johnny Pesky, has been ordered by MLB to stay away from the Sox dugout during games. This is also from the Courant, and I'll again have a few words, this time some of them choice...

"The Red Sox were informed again this week that Johnny Pesky, 87, cannot be in the dugout during games. MLB will now enforce its rule about unauthorized people in the dugout, and Pesky, who is not an official coach, is a victim.
Francona had the unenviable task of informing Pesky earlier this week.
"I think he was justifiably hurt," Francona said. "I understand. The letter [from MLB] was pretty forthright about what they were going to do. Multiple fines. I unfortunately had to be the one to tell him. It wasn't a lot of fun."

Peter here. Now this surprises me. The man is 87 years old. What does MLB think he's going to do in the dugout? Be the secret conduit between coaches, players and spies in the stands? Or something even more hideous and evil. NO! He's there for emotional support and to make sure Big Papi has someone to hug. Although some of those Papi hugs look a little too tight for an 87 year old body. I'm just kidding. But I think this is a shame, an unneeded shame. This reeks of Bud Selig's stink.
The entire article is linked when you click on the title. And we're approaching Monday's game at the speed of light. I'm excited. We all are. How will our club do versus the rest of the AL East? Thats coming up. I'll forecast how I see that very tough division. I'll stick to the AL Eastern division solely. That's what this blog is all about. And the entire double-billed Hartford Courant article is available by simply clicking on this post's title. Enjoy your weekend, and I'll be back sooner than you think. Maybe sooner than you'd want, but I hope that's not the case.

5 Comments:

At 3/31/2007 10:40 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Poor Pesky, and looking forward to your forecast!

 
At 3/31/2007 11:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Carol......a lot.

 
At 3/31/2007 12:17 PM, Blogger Ian said...

they enforced that rule with Zimmer last year in Tampa Bay. he was able to do what he had to do before games then had to sit in the stands.

The Red Sox should just give him an official position so he can be in the dugout.

 
At 3/31/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know, Ian. Kicking Zim out of the dugout is the same heartless move that I would expect from a hierarchy without a leader. Or one without a heart. If there is one, he's a robot, a cold-blooded heartless entity. I could go on, but I won't. Thanks for your comment.......
And hey, as always, thanks for being here.
Peter......and that's MY Random Thought.

 
At 4/01/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

I don't see what the big deal is I mean really just let the guy sit in the dugout he's like the President of RSN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home