Saturday, March 17, 2007

OK, I'm MAD...And This NY Times Article Is Dated Tomorrow! What Is His Problem?

First of all, this piece caught my eye just because it's dated for tomorrow. And then I read. And read. And finished reading! My forehead felt hot, my pulse, normally 60-beats per minute (thanks to the treadmill) increased, and my "what the hell" radar was pinging. Pinging LOUDLY! Read a little. I will link the entire misguided article, so all you have to do is click on the title of this post, but...but.....is this sour grapes? OR IS THIS SOMEONE WHO IS SIMPLY CLUELESS. I VOTE FOR THE LATTER. Let me know, my readers....and I will be back with a comment after this. Remember, this is from Sunday's NY Times.........and we thought Murry ChASS was bad......

By DAN ROSENHECK

Published: March 18, 2007

"The 86-year Curse of the Bambino ended when the Boston Red Sox won the 2004 World Series. But as long as the American League’s best right-handed hitter plays left field in Fenway Park, the team’s fans will continue to moan about Manny being Manny.
Manny Ramírez is, of course, the Red Sox’ most accomplished slugger and their biggest headache, equally known for his prodigious production at the plate and his misadventures in the field and on the basepaths. When Fenway denizens dismiss a muffed fly ball or a botched rundown as Manny being Manny, they mean that they have learned to tolerate his foibles in return for his offensive production. But just how much do Ramírez’s weaknesses subtract from his one outstanding strength? His bat may be worth his $20 million salary, but is the whole package?
All of today’s systems agree that Ramírez is the worst defensive left fielder in baseball, and by a comfortable margin.
“Manny is at the far end of the as-bad-as-you-can-get-in-the-field spectrum,” said Mitchel Lichtman, who designed one highly regarded P.B.P. defensive statistic called ultimate zone rating, and who consulted for the St. Louis Cardinals from 2004 to 2006. (Peter here...you idiot, watch him play, everyday!)
So how can Boston minimize the damage from Ramírez’s fielding? One approach would be to assemble a ground-ball pitching staff, which would result in fewer balls being hit to him. But Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett surrender lots of fly balls. (Me again. And they're better than any starters you have, jerk with a computer.)
The other solution would be to move Ramírez to designated hitter. That would require switching the incumbent D.H., David Ortiz, to first base. Ortiz is even less mobile than Ramírez, and given his corpulence, the demands of playing the field may substantially increase his risk of injury. It would also entail moving the current first baseman, Kevin Youkilis, to left field (which he might not play any better than Ramírez) or to third base (which would then require Boston to trade its current third baseman, Mike Lowell, for a left fielder). (Peter here..and again, you are an idiot. Youk was so uncomfortable playing left field last year...it just proves how clueless you really are. Why do they pay you?)
Moreover, as Ramírez ages, his fielding is likely to get worse. Even if Boston’s fans are willing to live with another year of Manny being Manny, the team’s fly-ball pitchers may be forced to revolt." (Peter here...when pigs fly).

Peter here. MY turn! Finally!!!! Wow, I hope you all are reading along with me, and do not forget to comment and then read the entire article by title clicking. Ok, the author has a serious bone to pick with someone, so I volunteered......Manny's defensive skills are suited to Fenway Park's left field...perfectly. His offensive numbers will never change, and we who WATCH HIM (I guess you're not included in that group, Dan, for if you were, you wouldn't have written such idiocy) know that. Hey dumbo, look at his assist numbers, not his reputation. It's writing like this that gives a bad name for those silly and foolish enough to pen a sports article without the correct preparation and knowlege. I'm finished, but I could go on. But Mr. Rosenheck, enjoy this season. Yes, 2007, when our Manny will lead the charge that will leave the Yankees grounded deep into the soles of our cleats. Where dirt like you belongs! And yes, we'd love to hear from you again...especially if your lack of baseball sense is so comical. You're fired!
OK, deep breath. Phew. I'd love to hear your comments after reading his entire piece. Try not to laugh!!!! And I still do not believe it.....his words, his baseball knowlege, his...his....well, please comment for me. And thanks on this suddenly brightening Saturday noontime.

17 Comments:

At 3/17/2007 2:42 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know it's early, but....no comments??? I guess I'll get used to it! In fact, no...I won't! But that's OK.....

 
At 3/17/2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Ian said...

I haven't been home all day so I am just getting to look at it now. The whole point of it is this guy is just trying to start some controversy. We all know Manny isn't going to win a gold glove but he does have a cannon arm out there and not too many people run on him...

 
At 3/17/2007 5:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And left field Fenway suits him...I am so surprised at this guy's lack of knowlege. Thanks Ian!!!!!!!!! Have a great night....

 
At 3/17/2007 11:56 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

ugh I saw this article earlier and I couldn't even read the whole thing. Manny produces waaaaaayyy more runs than he surrenders and while hes not the best left fielder around he does just fine. not to mention that I live for the moments when Manny guns a guy out. What a jerk

 
At 3/18/2007 7:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

The author is a jerk who probably sees Manny play 10 times a year.

 
At 3/18/2007 10:12 AM, Blogger Julie said...

there are some sportswriters out there whose sole purpose is to create controversy and piss their readers off (i.e. dan shaughnessy). clearly you have stumbled upon one of them. how many errors did manny have last year? as far as i remember, not a whole lot. he's certainly not spectacular, but he's a solid defender. add his bat and i'd say the "whole package" really is worth $20 mil.

 
At 3/18/2007 10:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And so are you! $20 million? At least. And that's on a BAD day. Seriously, (I was being serious) what I meant to say, other than thanks for reading and commenting, as always (YAY!!!), is that Fenway's left field is perfect for Manny, and I really think that the author of that misguided post has not seen our (yes, OUR!) Manny patrol the wall enough, or he wouldn't be dumb enough to write that drivel..or is it drivle? It's drivel, or is it? Julie, have a great Sunday. You're always one of my favorite readers and commenters. You always will be.... Miss Scarlet! Peter

 
At 3/18/2007 11:29 AM, Blogger Julie said...

i wrote another roger post
sorry my posting has been so sporatic.. i've been even busier than usual since i had surgery and softball started

 
At 3/18/2007 11:40 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Wait??? Surgery...that's something I'd email you about instead of leaving it out here in comments...I'm going to SF right now...P

 
At 3/18/2007 3:27 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It has been said about Compu-geeks:

They can fit a square peg into a round hole, or so they think, as something is usually broken(Like Microsoft);

If Flatulence is a sign of something Imminent, one had better run to 2nd Base, would be a theory;

They can only recite the DOS Command Line, backwards in their sleep;

Why don't these GEEKS just shut up & ENJOY the damn game.

 
At 3/18/2007 3:30 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Michael, I don't have an answer! How was the parade???....and "knock knock, there is, right now, a pizza at my door. Enjoy your Sunday...the Sox, those guys from Boston, are slimmingly winning, and as always, I thank you for your comments....and for just just being here. Bye.......

 
At 3/18/2007 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"All of today’s systems agree that Ramírez is the worst defensive left fielder in baseball, and by a comfortable margin."

Reminds me of what Groucho Marx would have said, with a twist...

"Who do you believe, "the systems" or your own eyes?"

Manny is a more than adequate left fielder. He may not have a natural fielder's instincts, but he's got a good arm and doesn't allow a lot of extra bases.

Guy's a moron.

 
At 3/18/2007 8:19 PM, Blogger 9casey said...

Hey Peter.nice blog....The Joy of Sox has settled down a bit seeing alot of people don't post anymore. It seems as though you have a good bunch of people here..I will check back often..

As for Manny...most likely one of the best 5 hitters of all-time.....

In the field he is adequate....he isn't that bad to waste that much space in a sunday paper..

He is alittle off base with his comments about the fans........as far as I hear Manny bashing is at an alltime low amongst fans....

 
At 3/18/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Hi Peter,
Barely had time this am for my own post. Gone all day with my son in a hoop tournament. The article was hard to swallow all the s&*@!Manny had 2 errors last year!I looked it up. Far less errors in Boston than Cleve in one less year there. The writer gets paid for readership unlike ourselves. Controversy good or bad brings attention. Hard story to swallow seeing Manny more times in a month than writer has seen in his lifetime probably. Murray Chasse looks good compared to him!

 
At 3/18/2007 9:18 PM, Blogger laura said...

I read this article as soon as I saw it in RemDawg's daily email...I wonder if that guy bothered to check out Manny's outfield assists, or does that stat not factor into his article because it doesn't help his argument?

 
At 3/19/2007 12:04 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

My Article on The Parade is up, folks:

& Julie, take care of that wrist.

 
At 3/19/2007 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks 9casey! And everyone who was as outraged as I from this fool's article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home