Thursday, March 22, 2007

I See The Future, And His Name Is Jonathon Papelbon

I borrowed a memorable quote when, in 1975, a famous rock critic whose name wouldn't mean much to you said this after a Bruce show, an early one....1975's Born To Run Bruce Springsteen. And he said this. "I've seen the future of rock and roll, and his name is Bruce Springsteen."
And he was right! I've lamented on our complete and utter lack of a closer, and I've held firmly onto my belief that eventually, SOONER rather than later, Jonathon Papelbon will return to the ranks of best closers in baseball. In fact, he's already on that list. After last year? Of course he is! Read this, from the Herald, and then I'll be back for a few thousand words......or a few. And title click for the entire piece.................

"Since being shut down with shoulder tenderness last September, it’s been assumed the best route to ensure Papelbon’s long-term health is to switch to the regular routine of a starter, over the erratic workload of a closer.
At least, that’s what the Sox medical personnel outlined as the rationale behind his move into the starting rotation.
Yesterday, Papelbon said his arm wouldn’t be jeopardized performing either role, thanks to his strengthening program, which he’s following diligently.
“I’ve talked to a million doctors. For me, it wouldn’t matter what I do, start or close,” he said. “My shoulder is still going to stay healthy because I’m going to stay on my program and do what it takes, no matter what kind of pitching I do. I’m going to keep my arm healthy. So, (my role) is kind of irrelevant.”
Even Sox general manager Theo Epstein offered another interesting take yesterday, saying that he wouldn’t put the term “never” on the right-hander becoming a closer again."

As the MAN said himself...."Yeah, the window’s still open,” Papelbon said of his former job. “It doesn’t matter to me. We just haven't crossed that bridge yet."

Peter here, and as Sean Connery said before he signed back on to become Bond, James Bond, once again in '82...."Never say never again." And at the time, truer words had never been spoken. Right now, in March of 2007, I can and will say the same exact thing. That bridge WILL be one that our Sox will cross...troubled waters? Oh yes. As Paul Simon wrote and Art Garfunkel sang.
So..........
Theo, it's time!!! If the only chance our wonderful-looking club has of succeeding this year is by putting Paps back where he belongs, well, just do it! You have a bunch of pretenders to the throne, but they're only court jesters. Jesters who we have to hope will keep the game close in the seventh and eighth innings. Tenuous nailbiting times in store for RSN.
Faith rewarded?? NOT YET, not by a long shot.
Print it!

19 Comments:

At 3/22/2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

He IS The FUTURE & That Future is BRIGHT:

Julian Tavarez is another matter-please, NO.

 
At 3/22/2007 9:37 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know...thanks Michael......enjoy this grey Thursday!

 
At 3/22/2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Or is it gray?

 
At 3/22/2007 9:45 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh, Michael, did I say that I agree. I'll sing it to the hilltops. But then, I'd be called the FOOL ON THE HILL. But that's OK......someone will listen! it wa a Paul song...I'd rather be the WALRUS.
Going to your blog right now...this gives me an escape to emerge from my sadness. So thank you! I mean that, to you and everyone...I'm lucky i have you all.

 
At 3/22/2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And the Walrus was Paul, but written by our John. The only true gem from the Magical Mystery tour EP. I AM THE WALRUS...and that's that all the MMT collection of songs was in the UK. An EP, with 6 songs. Goo gooo ga joob!

 
At 3/22/2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sorry for my too quick typing...and I'll be back.......happy Thursday.

 
At 3/22/2007 10:27 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I Am the Walrus may have been the only true gem, but there were a couple of diamonds in the rough with Blue Jay Way and Your Mother Should Know. I liked the US LP that added 5 more good numbers.
My best friend & I have kids that share birthdays & we did a Magical Mystery Tour theme for them one year. They still talk about it ... I don't think they'll ever forget that birthday celebration.

 
At 3/22/2007 11:47 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I loved the Beatles. Maybe my thoughts were more on the (originally in black and white in the UK) XMAS film..MMT.....but my goodness. I mean, 1967's "I Am The Walrus" was John near his shining peak. 40 years ago. And I know you know. I loved that man...I still do, and damn his killer, 5 shots in the back. His last word was "Yes" when asked by the police officers if he knew who he was. And to this day, no one can come near him........thanks for the comment.

 
At 3/22/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I would have emailed you this link, and maybe you've this post of mine before, but just in case, copy and paste it. For me...thanks....Peter

http://peteronall.blogspot.com/2005/12/john-lennon-open-letter-to-hero-of.html

 
At 3/22/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I meant, maybe you've READ this post, but copy and paste....

 
At 3/22/2007 11:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And to this day, I still can't read that without crying....what a wuss I am.

 
At 3/22/2007 12:49 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Like Red Auerbach always said, "The most important thing isn't who starts the game, it's who finishes it."

He only won, oh, nine championships as a coach and another seven from the front office. Why follow his advice? :-)

 
At 3/22/2007 1:00 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Sul...and how many in row for Red? So many!!! Thanks for the comment...and John Edward's wife has a reoccurance of cancer. Such sad news....

 
At 3/22/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And it gets even sadder, Sul...it might be in her lungs, as well as her bones. I know we don't know her well, but she's a Mom....and a good one. And this is so sad....

 
At 3/22/2007 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ESPN reporting that Jonathan papelbon is indeed the Red Sox closer for 2007. But I bet you knew that, right?

Sucks about Elizabeth Edwards! By all accounts, she is a very kind and gracious woman.

 
At 3/22/2007 3:54 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Peter, thanks for sharing that fine post about John ... very sad, but extremely well put. He is loved and missed by you and me and millions of others. As Paul once said, he "was a great, great man."

 
At 3/22/2007 5:29 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

MCW, I just heard.

 
At 3/23/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks BFW

 
At 3/23/2007 7:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And thanks everyone, for your great comments. And now, I'm turning off the "Peter 'puter" to get ready to go the the vet's, with my Baby Cakes. How do I not cry? It doesn't matter. But this is going to be so so so so tough for me. I'll write a tear-stained post when I return......alone. Alone..wow...no one to talk to here. I have to be strong. But it's so tough. I think I can do this, but I wish 10 or 20 of you were here with me....bye, I say, scared to death..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home