Sunday, March 11, 2007

Beckett Just Plain UGLY!

This is the type of game where people can and do get hurt. And that's the last thing we need. Beckett was zany wild, and the final result of hit batsmen? From the Courant....

"It began in the first, when Beckett hit former Yankee Gary Sheffield on the elbow. In the third, Beckett lost control of a curveball, striking Magglio Ordonez in the earflap. Ordonez was taken to a local hospital and released with a left ear contusion.
"I talked to [home plate umpire] Larry Vanover when [Ordonez] went down," Beckett said. "I was just trying to pitch inside. I really only hit one guy. Mags was a curveball. Fortunately it didn't hit him in the neck."
Beckett, who allowed five runs - two earned - on four hits in 32/3 innings, nearly caught Inge in the head with a fastball in the fourth, after fooling him with a similarly delivered curve the previous pitch.
"It was like a blurred comet," Inge said.
It was also the final straw for the Tigers, and after Jones got Jason Varitek to ground out leading off the fifth, he took two shots at Drew, the second sailing behind the batter's box."

Peter here, and it was only a matter of moments before all-out war broke out and both benches erupted. I wasn't able to watch the game, for various reasons, so I don't know what was going on with Josh. But I hope that wildness is out of his system. FOR GOOD.

And what of Darkman? Again from the Courant...

"Okajima had his best performance this spring, allowing one run - an Ivan Rodriguez homer on a curveball - in 21/3 innings, with four strikeouts. "He hit it very well," Okajima said. "I know he is a famous player, a good player. He got me this time, but from now on, I know where I can't locate that pitch. I'm learning."

We need you in the 'pen, Darkman. So you take your time and learn the hitters. Oh, and the entire Courant article is available when you click on the title. I'll be back with more after a word from our Sunday sponser, 20 Mule Team Borax. It keeps hands soft and fresh. Just 29 cents at your local Five and Dime Store across the country. 20 Mule Team Borax. Your hands will thank you. And so will your pocketbook.

17 Comments:

At 3/11/2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I really don't think he would try to hit anyone in spring training. Even though he gave up 3 runs in the first, they were all unearned because of 2 errors by our rookie 2b dustin pedroia. it is nice to see consistency from darkman right now. seems to be the only one doing anything decent in the pen.

 
At 3/11/2007 9:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Little Manny has looked OK, but...oh well, I'm still not convinced right now. OF ANYTHING! And the NCAA tourney without the UCONN men??....that's another thing I have to get used to! Go women!
Did you read my bullpen post, sparked by the linked Tony M. article in the Herald?
Thanks for the feedback Ian.

 
At 3/11/2007 11:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

But clearly the Josh curveball was out of his control! And yes, go Darkman. A vital cog to be for our 'pen!

 
At 3/11/2007 3:53 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Hopefully we wont have any of those come april because I am sure those will result in SUSPENSIONS:)

 
At 3/11/2007 11:05 PM, Blogger VTek said...

I've been cringing at the wild pitching and players getting hit since last year lol. I really didn't expect it in spring training though!

 
At 3/11/2007 11:14 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

Yeah neither did I!

 
At 3/12/2007 6:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Beckett didn't have a handle on his curve, Carol. That's what it looked like!

 
At 3/12/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

He had better NOT need surgery

 
At 3/12/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

WAITTTTTTTTT..who said anything about sugery?? Please enlighten me with a email Michael.....like soon!!!!

 
At 3/12/2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And you'd better grovel if you made that up.......peter1210@sbcglobal.net that's me! Peter

 
At 3/12/2007 12:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I have no patience for idiotic rumors, so do not, NOT, spread them here. I'm waiting, old man! And yes, this could be the end of a wonderful frienship. My fault? Not on your life! So?........

 
At 3/12/2007 12:29 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Not holding my breath, but I believe in you as a person, and a friend...but I take what you say seriously. Should I not>>>>>>>>????????????????? If not, be a f***ing Mets person.....

 
At 3/12/2007 3:10 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

No, what worries me is Josh' Injury history in Florida with the Marlins & the fact that he throws way-too many gopher balls, like last year. Too many pitches were up in the strike zone:

I hope Farrell corrects the situation.

 
At 3/12/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike Farrell?......I loved M*A*S*H...and you know that I'm kidding. Please, oh please, don't throw out that surgery word unless it's warranted, Mikey...Hi everyone...this is your tempermental but lovable blog guy! Peace, Michael!!!!!! And to everyone, Sox/pinstripers (BOO!!!) tonight......but it's still before the Ides of March...we're OK!!!!! I know, think, I hope, I..........well, I'm clueless (not!). We will be fine with a gosh darn closer!!!!!!

 
At 3/12/2007 4:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Michael Leggett, (readers) his link is right there on your right, under RANDOM FANDOM, I am so sorry...tough Monday!!!!! Check out his blog, with your sound on!!!!!!!!

 
At 3/12/2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And now, it's time for me to go.......I've done enough damage.

 
At 3/12/2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

He said with a smile.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home