Saturday, February 24, 2007

When Johnny (That's Right!) Damon Comes Marching Home...

Johnny Damon haters out there. And I know there are plenty of you...I was too up until I read this about him. So please, read this, and maybe you'll change your minds. After all, baseball is JUST a game. But this? This is as far from a game as it gets........

TAMPA, Fla. -- "Johnny Damon has reveled in the fruits of life in America. He plays baseball for $13 million a year, and he wears fame comfortably.
The shoulder-length hair is long gone, but Damon is not shy about wearing patriotism on his sleeve.
"I know we're [divided] about the war," Damon said of the U.S. involvement in Iraq. "But we need to take care of these soldiers who've made the sacrifice for our freedom. ... It's about our country. It bothers me when people dog the country. We're free, we have the ability to make millions of dollars, and people are complaining."
For Damon, his new passion is not about politics, but people. He became a national spokesman for the Wounded Warrior Project last September, and has taken a personal interest in helping wounded veterans rebuild their lives.
His father, Jimmy, was a career Army officer who served in Vietnam. Johnny Damon, 33, spent much of his early life on Army bases, and often wears military-themed attire; it's part of him.
"My father's told me things in the last few years that he wouldn't tell me as a child," Damon said. "The thing that really inspired me is when I went to Walter Reed hospital last year, for the second time, and I saw the progress people were making."

Peter here. I feel so much better about Johnny Damon as a human being and a citizen of this great country. A country right now burdened by our President's baffling and stubborn idiotic ways, but as for Johnny Damon? WAY TO GO. Please don't confuse life with the game that we love called baseball. The entire article is linked when you click on this post's title. So please read it. And ask yourself this. Do you still feel the same way about him? I'd love to read what you have to say. Thanks......my Dad too served his country well. And I know this will bring out the Damon hatred in some of you, but I don't give a damn. Read the entire article if you can. Thanks....and disagree if you want. We all need our voices to be heard. And I'm waiting to hear yours! Right or wrong...weak or strong. Bush or (I wish) no Bush.

13 Comments:

At 2/24/2007 2:36 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

I respect Johnny more now I still don't really like him in the baseball sense but I respect Johnny Damon the person more after reading that

 
At 2/24/2007 2:46 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Katiee...as do I!

 
At 2/24/2007 4:39 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

fine enough with me!

 
At 2/24/2007 6:20 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I still cant say I like him for what he does in Baseball but,i like him as a human more now:]I had a grandpa that died fighting for our country so I see exactly where he is coming from:]

 
At 2/24/2007 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for Johnny. Makes me feel less guilty that I don't hate him enough!
A Sox fan, and cat-friendly guy who hates George Bush...what more can we ask for? You're the perfect blogger!
Tell the old girl Auntie Maine says hello!

 
At 2/24/2007 8:03 PM, Blogger Julie said...

i respect this about johnny damon, but i still don't think he's a good person. he's a deserter. he deserted his ex-wife for his current one, much like he deserted us for the yanks. and though i have not read his book, a good friend of mine and a major sox fan, who has read it, tells me that in the book he comes off as a huge jerk.
but i guess a teeny bit of my animosity subsided when i read this. but it's so hard not to hate someone who broke your heart in the most painful way..

 
At 2/25/2007 6:05 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

That's all I wanted after I read the articlle...to show everyone he's not ALL bad. When the Nam vets came home, they were spit on! Literally....thanks everyone. And ME CAT Woman, he's an old boy...he doesn't realize it tho. I love him.

 
At 2/25/2007 3:52 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& my latest article is up on the subject:

Full Respect is given.

 
At 2/25/2007 8:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is the reality of Johnny Damon: He's a very lucky guy who, despite the fact he's not very bright and not very educated, has outstanding athletic ability which has made him a very rich man playing baseball - a game he loves. He's smart enough to know if it weren't for baseball he'd probably be spending his life working construction - which is what he did until he hit the big leagues. He's also a guy with a very big heart, which is obvious in the way he respects his family, his veteran father, especially, and takes such great pride in his kids. So what if he divorced his first wife - they got married when they were 19 - how many high school sweethearts make it through the long run? The Red Sox gave up on him and he's proven they made a huge mistake. He's a good man with a good heart, who knows he's one of the luckiest SOBs in the world. He'll continue throughout his life to give back to the world some of the riches he's been lucky to earn. I'm a devoted Red Sox fan, but I'm sick of this grudge against Damon. Give it up and move on - he has and he's the bigger man for it.

 
At 2/26/2007 2:40 AM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

Go for Johnny. My problems with him have nothing to with anything outside baseball. It's good to hear he goes to bat for the injured soldiers back from Iraq. God bless his efforts.

 
At 2/26/2007 6:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Q, well said. But I agree one hundred thousand percent with smarm.......and welcome here! Thanks for expressing MY thoughts better than I could myself. Come back sometime!!!!!!

 
At 4/15/2007 9:51 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Johnny is doing this because he has to do something community oriented to get noticed now. Ok? Just like -- oh, how wonderful is Johnny Damon for bringing Xboxes and tvs to kids in the hospital for Christmas? Well, yeah, it's nice, but he DID it because he was PAID to do it, he didn't buy the xboxes -- it was part of his marketing for that stupid gaming league he was the "Commissioner" of.

I don't really think he stands for anything. I don't hate him, I used to adore him. But - now I finally know the real him and not the man I imagined him to be.

 
At 4/16/2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you Ruthie...wow, I haven't read this post i wrote in a long time, but I remember it well on this rainy rainy Monday morning, the 16th of April. And Ruthie, I tend to lean more towards Swarm's comment of this same post. And I, like you and him, do not hate him, he's just not as much of a god as you thought. But he's a nice person who benefitted when the Sox FO made a mistake and did not retain him. Good luck to him wherever he is, unless he's playing us. Thanks for reading....I don't recall seeing a comment from you before, and that makes me so happy. Stay, please. And I hope you enjoy. Peter, on Patriot's Day, grey and gloomy with iffy basball at 10am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home