Friday, February 09, 2007

The Reds Lock Up Bronson With A Nice Extention

I heard about this early yesterday (Thursday) but I wanted to wait until I saw the monetary figures. This is from today's Globe.....

"Arroyo, 29, went 14-11, started 35 games, pitched a league-high 240 2/3 innings, had a 3.29 ERA, and made the National League All-Star team.
The Reds got Arroyo from Boston for outfielder Wily Mo Peña during spring training last year.
"Last year in the beginning of the season, I was still watching a lot of Sox games and I was kind of still caught up in the middle emotionally about being traded," Arroyo said. "After being here a year and going through what we went through last year with having a chance to make the playoffs, I'm a Red through and through."
Arroyo gets base salaries of $4,125,000 this year and $3.95 million in 2008, figures set under the old contract. The extension includes a $2.5 million signing bonus that will be paid next year. Arroyo will get salaries of $9.5 million in 2009 and $11 million in 2010. There is a club option at $11 million for 2011 with a $2 million buyout. The option can escalate to $13 million, based on innings."

Peer here...not bad, huh. As the piece said, he led the NL in innings pitched. His ERA was a sparkling 3.29. Bronson had a fast start for the Reds, but as he went around the league for a second and then a third time, batters who had seen him before were able to knock him around a bit more, and his lightning fast start soon evened out to a near .500 record. But the innings he pitched? WOW! There and exactly there is his biggest plus, other than being a super guy who the ladies love. But that doesn't win games. Could the Red Sox have used a pitcher like Bronson last year to eat up innings and win 12 or 13 games? Oh yes, and we wouldn't have to be dealing with the defensive liablility whose name is Wily Mo Pena, who has forced to Sox into an arbitration hearing coming up later this month. Bad trade. OH YEAH!!!!!!
Good luck, good health Bronson. You are truly "one of the good guys!"

10 Comments:

At 2/09/2007 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually still like the trade. I don't think Arroyo would have done much at all in the AL East. They had figured him out completely in 2005. Pena is on his way to being a superstar.

It's a deal that makes you think longterm, but that's OK by me.

 
At 2/09/2007 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, Peter, I know you've mentioned you've had to battle diabetes yourself- apparently Wily Mo has spearheaded an initiative to combat the disease in poor areas of the Dominican Republic...

http://newswire.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20070117.123518&time=13%2021%20PST&year=2007&public=0

 
At 2/09/2007 10:12 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

T7..thank you..I didn't thing anyone would pick up on that. You made me so happy! And I mean that! Peter........that means so much......Peter

 
At 2/09/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

wow...you surprised me in such a good way....so......so......thank you!!!

 
At 2/09/2007 10:16 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And read my comment on my last (today's post)....thanks again.......Peter

 
At 2/09/2007 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post the link. Maybe it will spur some people to helping the cause, like Wily.

It also might help get a few people off his back :)

 
At 2/09/2007 10:22 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'll try...........and you should see how many people love your blog! Peter.....a couple minutes every day, even tho I know you are in law school...well...you have a great blog just a few weeks before Sox baseball is upon us!
Take care...keep reading!!!!! {Peter) AND I'd be a reader! Stay well

 
At 2/09/2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Trot7...I did...and I say thank you.........

 
At 2/09/2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/09/2007 5:11 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I am so glad:) BUT I STILL WISH WE HAD HIM:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home