Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hello Julio!!!!

This from the Fort Myers News-Press.....and then a comment. And as always, check out the ENTIRE article by clicking on the title.......here ya go......

"The Red Sox don't expect Lugo to field as well as Gonzalez did last year. They don't expect anybody to field that well.
"Maybe the best shortstop we've ever seen," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said of Gonzalez. "The best shortstop I've ever seen. Nobody else is going to do that again unless Gonzalez does it again in Cincinnati. That's how good he is. This guy (Julio Lugo) brings some different things. Lugo is more of a hitter. He has a career .277 average, with 68 homers and 139 stolen bases.
"He plays with a ton of energy," Francona said.
Francona believes Lugo will benefit from the Boston baseball passion.
"He's got that type of attitude that I think in Boston will make him a better player," Francona said. "The full house every night and the atmosphere we have I think will bring out the best player he can be.

Peter here...and no one, I repeat no human with two hands could do defensively what Alex G. did last year, just as no one could repeat Jonathon Papelbon's last year achievements either. But in Julio Lugo, of the Dominican Republic (where else?), we have a guy who will field his position just fine, thank you, AND be the spark plug that the Sox need at the top of the order. There has been talk of Coco Crisp batting in the second spot, but I think the ideal fit, a guy who is pitch selective AND gets on base so much, would be Kevin Youklis. So don't be surprised to see Kevin batting second, and Coco, with his speed, nearer the bottom (7th or 8th) of the order. Either way, we are WINNERS!
Thanks for reading, and the entire article is one click away, on the title of this post. Comments. C'mon, I'd love 'em!!

19 Comments:

At 2/21/2007 12:09 PM, Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

blech! i had to watch Lugo play more than any baseball fan should be subjected to since Tampa is my "local team" & if i wanted to watch a game on tv, the Rays were usually my only option. he has a LOT of proving to do before i will be happy to see him in a Sox uniform. i personally was completely uninspired watching him play SS in Tampa & i think he's overrated at the plate. not to mention the guy is sleazy. i seriously hope he proves me wrong but i have many doubts right now.

 
At 2/21/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

But **dawn**.....you're my heroine...for helping me with my computer! And I think, and I DO think, once in a while, that he'll be fine! And I bet we both cannot wait for the first week of April!
Hey, again, thank you so so much! You are the best! Peter

 
At 2/21/2007 12:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'd be in Japanese without you! And I will never forget...promise.......bye

 
At 2/21/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And thanks Dawn..Manny is lucky to be the leftfielder........and we're lucky that he's our cleanup guy... after Papi and before JD......
So Manny, do not "F" up!!! Thanks D!!!

 
At 2/21/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

You know, Peter, I find myself less-than-enthralled by the prospect of baseball season coming. Usually, by this time of year, I really want to hear a game on the radio and watch a few innings from some sunny clime, but it just hasn't hit me yet.

Oh, well. Just general bitching and moaning and this seemed like a place I could do it without raising anyone's ire. Thanks for the outlet!

 
At 2/21/2007 1:42 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You know, Sul...I guess you know my ire! Almost non-existant!
And you're always welcome to comment!!!.......I've yet to be at your place today, but I will! P

 
At 2/21/2007 1:43 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

SOON!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2/21/2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I think Lugo is lacking in terms of offense, defense, hustle, and consistency. He will be way overpaid and, quite possibly, will have an adverse effect on team chemistry. His behavior off the field has often been highly questionable. I like this signing less every day.

 
At 2/21/2007 3:58 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

But Mike, OTHER than that, everything is PERFECT! Just kidding...I'm a little more optimistic......thanks for reading...he'll be a great lead-off hitter, and a more than adequate defensive guy at SS. Money, who cares! It's John Henry's!!!!!

 
At 2/21/2007 4:00 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, I just came from your blog...nice! I'd rather have Lugo than Brittney! Stay well!!!P

 
At 2/21/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You know I was kidding, and I share NONE of your concerns. Time will tell! I have Anna Nicole's season tickets! Got 'em just in time!! Phew!!!!!


Take care...

 
At 2/21/2007 4:06 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Let's hope Tito is right and the Red Sox environment will make Lugo a better ball player. To inspire him, he may have to be reminded often how lucky he is to be here.
And Peter, you may have her season tickets, but who's their father?!?

 
At 2/21/2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I know it's not Howard Alan Stern! And the child is not mine...I swear!!!!!!!! I feel so badly for her little soul (the daughter). Actually, I was never fond in any way of ANS...but I hope she can rest in peace, because right now everyone is scrambling and trampling on her memory! Soap opera in real life.

 
At 2/21/2007 4:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Mike, you STILL crack me up! Negativity mucho!

 
At 2/21/2007 6:57 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I am not sure about JULIO LUGO:]

 
At 2/21/2007 9:07 PM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Tampa to Boston has to lift Lugo's adrenalin. I agree putting him 7-8 in the order. His critics have cause. I hope the sox brass did some solid research to character.

 
At 2/22/2007 6:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

FB, then if he bats down there, do we go with Mr Consistant for leeadoff? That would be Youk. NOT Coco!! I think he (JL) has to lead off, with Youk a great second! We'll see. And Kaylee, what are your concerns? I'd love to hear them!!! Thanks everyone.

 
At 2/22/2007 10:06 AM, Blogger Kevin Scalley said...

Peter,
I must have been tired last night with my previous post. What I agree on is Lugo #1 Youk #2 and Coco #7 or #8 in the batting order. Obviously, I was not clear in last night's comment! Have a great day!

 
At 2/22/2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

FB, I knew you knew what I know you know. Meaning (I think!) Lugo into Youk is a powerful set of tablesetters, going into 3-4-5-6........thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home