Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hall Of Fame Voting Stats

The only question I have is this, and I don't expect an answer, not from "them, the guilty voters,"....But I wonder, I do, who are the IDIOT(s) who did NOT vote for Cal Ripken? Or Tony Gwynn. What a baffoon(s). He should be banned from the H of F voting forever. But Cal finished with 537, or 98.5%. Tony Gwynn, as he should have, received 532 vote, or 97.6%. Both runaway winners, and deservedly so. The rest of the list is as follows......Goose Gossage-71.2%...Jim Ed-63.5%...Andre Dawson-56.7%...Bert Blyleven-47.7%...Lee Smith-39.8%...Jack Morris-37.1%...AND LASTLY, at least on MY list and in MY heart...Mark McGwire-23.5%!! Mark, when you lie, especially in a Congressional Hearing, you're going to pay the consequences. Hey Mark, on this Wednesday morning, say hello to reality, and MEET THE CONSEQUENCES.

Oh, this is from the Horrigan Herald article from just this Wednesday morning....I'll have something to say after. When don't I?.....

"The chances of both Gossage and Rice should be enhanced next year, when the ballot will have a much weaker first-year class, headed by Tim Raines and David Justice.
“Goose Gossage and Jim Rice, to me, are (Hall of Famers) when I think of those two guys,” Ripken said. “Jim Rice was the man when you went into that All-Star locker room for 10 years.” (Peter here, and Cal...you are so right!)
Gwynn agreed.
“I feel guilty getting in, knowing guys like Goose, Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven, Steve Garvey and Tommy John aren’t in,” Gwynn said. “Getting in is a blessing, but those other guys are Hall of Famers.” (Me again, and Tony, you have all the class in the world for saying that. And you are a true Hall of Famer....18 years straight with a .300 plus batting average...who's matched that? TY Cobb....23 straight years! Holy crap!) Mr. Tony Gwynn....18 years of consecutive .300 plus hitting, and ALL, every one of those years with the same team. My goodness!!! In modern times too!

And so for Jim Rice, it's wait until next year yet again, but there is hope....the competition will not have many big names added for the next two years....next year the strongest ballot newcomers will be Shawon Dunston, David Justice, and Tim Raines. I thought he'd squeak by this year with the two "can't misses" and the one "sure miss," the only three new adds. But Jim Ed, you know you're in the hall of fame of our hearts. Forever. And for anyone who remembers Jimmy playing that wall out in left, for opposing batters, it was a risk taking that "wide" turn around first, with maybe thoughts for second. Thoughts of making it into second base, on your feet or on your butt, were beautifully described by the umpire at second with his right hand raised and vocal cords blaring, "YOU'RE OUT! And we stood, and we cheered. We love you Jimmy!!!
And I love YOU, my readers...comments? If you can, as the Northeast United States slowly slipperingly slides into more normal temperaures in the next five days, you all take care. As always, I'm so glad you're here. Thanks.

15 Comments:

At 1/10/2007 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you on Cal & Gwynn. i can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be on their first ballots. and i hate that Rice still hasn't made it in. but i think we'll have to agree to disagree on the McGwire thing. in my opinion, he never tested positive for any substance & if he *did* use it, it was perpetuated by the media with all their emphasis on numbers & power. now they are condemning anyone who used "performance enhancing substances" but only because it's been given so much press -- if no one were talking about it, they would still be silently fueling the epidemic, no question about it. and all the while, we have players like Jason Giambi & Barry Bonds still playing & still jacked up. i find it hard to condemn a player without actual hard & fast *proof* when he had so much talent & was one of the few really good guys, along with Ripken, that saved the game when it was all in a downward spiral following the strike.

 
At 1/10/2007 10:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello...such a long time, Dawn...Happy New Year, my friend. And part of me agrees, and part does not....but with all the hubbub going on right now in early '07, he (McGwire) has a chance, if his name is cleared. I think that that is what the voters are waiting for. And who, WHO? did not vote for Cal? WoW. i idea....Stay well, I am still a little scared to go to your place because the last time I did, my Mac froze. Maybe it was because of the live stuff you had...I promise to try again.
So thanks! And take care Dawn! Peter

 
At 1/10/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

The philosophy of the baseball writers is that nobody has ever got to the hall with 100% of the votes, so nobody deserves 100%. If Ty, the Babe, the Clipper, the Splinter, the Sey Hey Kid & Hammerin Hank don't get in with 100%, how can Cal & Tony be more deserving? Are they better? When the writers ask themselves that question, some of them think not.

Circumstantial evidence of cheating baseball with steroids & a lack of denial or remorse is what got McGwire his low vote total. That is the subjective opinion many people & just because he succumbed to the pressures of the media, is no excuse for doing what he knew was wrong. If he would tell his story with admission & remorse, I think the majority of people would appreciate that & show Mark some deserving love.

 
At 1/10/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I know that..I've been around for a while. But, and HERE'S THE BUT...why on earth would anyone NOT vote for Cal. And I know there is one writer this year who would not fill ANYTHING on his voting slip, because of the steroid scandel years...was Cal included in those years, and if he thinks he was, well, to be nice, HE'S NUT! My thoughts...that's what you get here. And we almost always agree. Shades of the greatest, Lou Gehrig!
As always, thanks for you insightful comment. I mean it.....same to you dawn!

 
At 1/10/2007 12:10 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Scandal, and nuts...my two misspells........as for Mark M. He can wait....he lied........again, thanks!

 
At 1/10/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

McGwire didn't so much as lie, he just dodged all the probing questions about steroids before Congress. And it made him look VERY guilty. And since he doesn't want to talk now, he can almost forget going to the Hall of Fame...

I love Jim Rice's chances next year.I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about neither Gwynn nor Ripken being named on every ballot. They are plenty of idiot sportswriters out there who vote. (So how in the world does Dante Bichette get 3 votes?)

 
At 1/10/2007 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If McGwire didn't want to talk about his past at the Congressional hearings, why do the baseball writers have to honor him for his past. He looked guilty by not talking about it. When he got caught with the andro it was no big deal because at that time it was a legal supplement. But to not answer the questions about his past, just made it easier not to vote for him. He is also the first 500 hr player that's not active not to be in the HOF

 
At 1/10/2007 1:20 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Peter, glad you've been around a while & I hope you'll be around a lot longer. My 'splainin' was mainly cuz dawn couldn't "think of any reason". If someone isn't voting for a player cuz they played in the steroid era, they need to relinquish their voting rights. I certainly don't condone such thinking.
I wish you well.

 
At 1/10/2007 2:00 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Q, YES! And Ian, my in-state UConn Red Sox Pats friend, also a huge yes!
And BFW, you took the words right out of my brain. My brain is copyrighted, and I thought it is off-limits, or I'd be unable to write this stuff...you're forgiven, and you know I'm kidding. And to each and every one of you, thank you...this blog would be nuttin' without you! Absolutely nothing! Thank you for being you.....wow! Am I lucky, or what? Don't answer! P

 
At 1/10/2007 2:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And BFW, leave the 'splainin to Ricky Ricardo......Lucy was lucky.....and where's Rod Serling when we need him, for Mark McGuire WAS somewhere in his TWILIGHT ZONE, or if you are a Superman fan, the PHANTOM ZONE. Banished......until Kryptonite is fashionable again. I happen to love the color! Love ya guys!

 
At 1/10/2007 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the link peter:)and I didnt really expect you to be in the brady argument:)and yes i am always here but i love to be.I LOVE GWYNNS COMMENTS THEY ARE all true:D

 
At 1/10/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks K!

 
At 1/10/2007 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

youre welcome I am always here:D

 
At 1/10/2007 8:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I was just going to bed...aim me if you want sometime

 
At 1/10/2007 8:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

good night........late here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home