Saturday, January 27, 2007

Drew On Hitting At Fenway Park

This JD Drew quote appeared in the Saturday Courant. I'll follow that up with a quote from Theo and then some thoughts from me....

"I know I lost a lot of hits out in L.A. over the last couple of years driving the ball to left field," Drew said. "Hopefully those turn into doubles and add to my average and also add extra runs batted in and on-base percentage for the guys hitting behind me."
Drew hit .283 with 20 homers and 100 RBI in 146 games last season with the Dodgers. Drew, who has a career .393 on-base percentage, will hit fifth behind David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez."

"Two of our goals this offseason were to add another premium hitter, an on-base bat with power to complement Ortiz and Ramirez as well as to add a center field-caliber defensive player to our right field situation," Epstein said. "We think that in signing J.D. we've accomplished two of those goals with one signing."

Peter here. JD Drew has played right at Fenway, in 2003, and he'll have to relearn the tricky angles and low fence. For now, I have to have faith in his defensive ability and his knack for getting on base, especially batting in the crucial fifth spot of our lineup.
So now we wait for the pitching to jell and for someone, and we do not have a clue as to who that might be, to emerge as the closer. For without him, we're little better than a .500 third place club. There are not many more important pieces of the puzzle than the closer, a closer supreme. This from the Herald...

"Having a closer before spring training begins sounds less than likely, said Epstein, but he repeated his assurance that “certainly we’ll have one by the time the season breaks.”

Peter here...not they way it should be done!!!!! We have no choice but to hope that Theo knows what the heck he's doing. He's accomplished just about everything else he set out to do at the start of the off-season. I'll give him that. But.....

The entire Courant article is linked if you click on the title of this post. And I'll be back later. Feel free to leave a comment or two so I can be sure the minor glitches from yesterday have vanished. Enjoy your Saturday!

2 Comments:

At 1/27/2007 8:16 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm leaving the first comment, to see this part of my blog, which I'm still getting used to but I love the "instant" publishing aspect, just for my curiousity to be sated. Sated? yeah...I think that word works. Any of your comments about JDD, Pena's stubborness, the closer-less nature of the club, WHATEVER, are so welcome. I hope I don't see ONE anonymous comment, because in past posts there are a ton. But for the most part, they are relagated to January '07. I guess this new format, and I didn't change much because I'm LEAVING MY TEMPLATE ALONE, will be something I'll get used to in a couple days. And I love the instant publishing. So thanks, and I have one more Saturday post percolating in the grey matter know as my brain. But not just yet!

 
At 1/27/2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Found it!!!!!!!GYROmania!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home