Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Our Mark In Pinstripes?

Wow, I never thought, even 3 weeks ago, that there was a chance for Mark Loretta, the clutch player offensively and defensively last year with the Sox, would be going.....over there. I still think that if he came back to play second base, in 2007, back to his home turf, the BOSTON turf, the Red Sox would benefit immensely. I'll comment after this....from the Wednesday NY Times...

"The Yankees’ search for a first baseman has veered from one veteran to another, with a homegrown player and a Rule 5 draft pick mixed in. The latest name to surface is Mark Loretta, a free agent, who spent last season as the second baseman for the Boston Red Sox.
Mark Loretta was an All-Star in 2004 and last season, when he batted .285......
Loretta’s agent, Bob Garber, said yesterday that he had preliminary discussions with the Yankees, who are trying to decide if they want Loretta as a first baseman.
“We’re just feeling each other out at this point,” Garber said. But there seems to be some level of interest on both sides. Loretta, 35, could add a wrinkle to the Yankees’ plans. He can play all the infield positions and could serve as the backup at third, short or second on the days he does not play first base. That would lessen the need to carry another backup infielder, like the unsigned Miguel Cairo. His career on-base percentage is .363, and he is considered a tough out who could move runners along at the bottom of the Yankees’ order."

OK, I have to think in two different ways. As a Yankee fan (a stretch), I would be overjoyed to have Mark Loretta, who can win games with his glove OR his bat singlehandedly. He would make such a great and not prohibitvely expensive perfect option. Can we say "no brainer?"

As a Red Sox fan, who will in this case just be me and my opinon, I know we have a young player, Peds, who is ready to step in at second. But if Mark is there, and we can grab him, well, number one....second base will be in great hands. And number two...the Yankees would just have to offer more money or, ......or........gulp, say the Sox beat us to the punch again. And yes, I know right now the major focus in all our eyes is the closer spot. And it should be. But Theo, I know how I feel.....keep the option open, as well as the rightfield uncertainly which is there...and for good and obvious reasons.

Phew, I'm finished...I guess when I offer my Red Sox visions, more words are involved. But it's vintage Peter, not a copy of part of an article. And I feel strongly on the miriad of ways to improve '07.......Closer...and.....DO NOT get ripped off with JDD.....and the rest will fall in line. Wow...you made it to the end. I almost didn't! Comments would, as always, be so great.

10 Comments:

At 12/20/2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter:

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for being such a loyal reader over at my place. Folks like you are who keep me writing.

A Very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jim

 
At 12/20/2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suldog? Peter?

Merry Christmas!

Michael

 
At 12/20/2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loretta was damn good @ 2B:

I think that I was correct in saying in '01 that "The Giambino" was going to be NOTHING more than an OVERPRICED DH;

That has turned out to be true, as he proved himself to be NOTHING without his "Cream", or being in the "Clear";

But, why are The YANKEES so OBSESSED with FORMER Red Sox Players? They will NOT find another RUTH in the bunch. What the Yankees got was a guy with good hitting abilities, nice charm & a 6th Grade Girl's Arm(He just Juan Damon to me), in CF;

Loretta's a good back-up, as INSURANCE;

Wily Mo's Gotta go!

 
At 12/20/2006 2:32 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I hope they dont acuire him.I can hear my boy already...........Sticking it too me.

I think I finally realize why YANKEE FANS AND RED SOX DO NOT get along=] acually we do pretty well until It comes to baseball.Then it is a different story.I want loretta back=]lol
-kaylee

 
At 12/20/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

ML and Kaylee....I know the answer to this, but...... Who would YOU rather have at first??...the World Series baseball thief, or Mark "Mr. Clutch" Loretta...we'd better rethink this. And Sul...happy holidays to you and your.s...you make it so easy to read you...you're good! And I'm heading over there right now to catch up...Next Halloween, I'm there...for your Halloween party! I remember your so funny post.

 
At 12/20/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

MARK"mr clutch loretta!

 
At 12/20/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

"But, why are The YANKEES so OBSESSED with FORMER Red Sox Players...."

Well Michael, in this case, Mark Loretta is by far the BEST guy out there, for playing at second or first. Do you remmember how clutch he was last year? I'd love for him to be OUR starting 2nd baseman, with Peds watching, learning, and ready. Wouldn't you??

 
At 12/20/2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok if I were the Sox i would def try to get Loretta back because wouldn't he rather play second base for the lovely Red Sox? Well I'd like to think so lol.
He can't go there I'll cry

 
At 12/21/2006 6:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Awww---don't cry.

 
At 12/21/2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Or I might!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home