Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Very Interesting Twist...From Tim, Of The Red Sox Times

First of all, Tim's site is listed in my link section. He is a great everyday read, just like me. Or so I hope ...But here is his comment from this Tuesday morning, and my reply. I could have done this in the comment section, but the comment itself sent that little voice which tells me what to write into overdrive, much like some newspaper articles do. Here is Tim's comment, and my reply.....thanks.....

"Lets assume that the Sox put a hard line value on the potential contract for Matsuzaka's services.
In that case and Boras can't push them off that number, they should be willing to walk and let Matsuzaka go back to Japan.
Then make a one year, one time investment of $25 million to bring Roger Clemens back. I would venture to guess that there would be some incremental club revenue from that move as well. Also...this would allow the retiring of the #21 within the Sox rules and allow Roger to enter the hall with a Sox cap without remorse.
As well as signing Clemens, I would look to send a package of outfielders and prospects for Jake Peavy to replace the long term idea of Matsuzaka..."

Peter here, and my readers, that's the type of stuff you can expect at The Red Sox Times, so AFTER reading this, click on his link. For me. He has been kind enough to list my blog on his. Ok.....where to start? You know I know.....Tim, we have the exclusive rights to DMat until the middle of December....and we WILL sign him. He is 27, with an unbelievable upside, especially after the culture shock of the first half of his first year is over. Not to mention the learning process involved while facing hitters literally foreign to him. I expect him to be signed. I expect him, after a couple months of very understandable culture relocation minor problems, to bloom into one of the best pitchers, not only in the AL East, but in all of baseball as we know it. And I'm confident in what I just typed. Call me an optimist. Aren't there so many things worse than that?? I look for the bright side, and if I do not find it, I demand it. DMat in our uniform will be an every five day event. Roger Clemens, with his family first motto, which, as the Dad that he is, is a great thing, should stay in Texas.
Tim, thank you for activating that little voice in my left ear. I'm pretty sure it's connected to my brain. If not, I'm SCARED. And everyone else, as always, what would I do without you? I can answer that......as long as you keep stopping by to read the words these fingers type, I'll NEVER leave you. Tomorrow, a Thanksgiving post. In my own style.

6 Comments:

At 11/21/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

Great points Peter...I do tend to think that the Red Sox will and have every intention to sign Matsuzaka. But I do also think that they have a number that they will not go north of, negotiating leverage, and a contingency plan. I think this is really in Boras' hands now as to how reasonable he wants to be. I would think that any of the following would be palletable for the Sox...

3, $30 to $36 mm
4, $40 to $48 mm
5, $50 to $60 mm
6, $60 to $75 mm

I think the upper yearly limit on a contract is $12 mm base....If you can lock him in for all six years, I am all for structuring incentives to bring that up to $15 - $17 mm if he is as good as we all hope he could be.

 
At 11/21/2006 11:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

His agent, Boras(s), want as short a deal as possible, because he does not have the luxury of talking to more than one team.....that's why I am POSITIVE that this deal will get done...Boras(s) has a choice of a good deal, or NO deal, with nothing in between...DMat will be pitching in the three slot, after Schill and Josh.......count on it, or my name ain't Peter. And it is..thanks for your great comments.

 
At 11/21/2006 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am confident that a deal will be struck ... even if it is Boras - yuck. I am hoping it's 4 years. No Less. No. I would take more. I am thinking it's going to be in the 15 mil / year range ...

 
At 11/21/2006 12:36 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Anyone else want to chime in????? Scott Boras is used to dealing with multiple teams with differing needs....he's got US! If DMat returns to Japan, his wallet ain't getting any fatter. SLAM DUNK! Go Boston..they're my life......

 
At 11/21/2006 12:43 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

But Boras(s) wants less years so that he will be able to comunicate with more than one team that much sooner. And Novy, that's the beauty of the Sox's , OUR Sox's, bid...it forces the money grabbing Scott Boras(s) into somewhere he DOES not want to be. And that is? Dealing with ONE team, and one team only. For as many years as we can get...three...not enough...four? OK. And the team in the "driver's seat" is OURS. That team from Boston. The one WE love. Yours and mine. Sweet, huh??? HAPPY 2007....

 
At 11/21/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I am in such a good mood, even though it's still 30 something degrees. The sun is shining, and things, all things, look so great. Smiling. Your Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home