Thursday, November 16, 2006

Does This Surprise ANYONE???

This, from Sports Illustrated. It should surprise no one. I'll have a thing or three to say directly after you read this.......

NAPLES, Fla. -- "In what one competing general manager calls an "annual event,'' the Boston Red Sox are again listening to trade offers for Manny Ramirez.
"We're keeping all options open, and we'll see what's out there,'' Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein told SI.com.
Teams familiar with the Red Sox's thinking say this will be no sort of fire sale and that they would want equal value back for Ramirez since his whopping $160 million contract is down to a very palatable two years for about $40 million. Discounting deferred monies, the actual annual value is actually only around $17 million. In six seasons with the Sox, Manny Ramirez has amassed 234 homers and 712 RBIs
While Ramirez's quirks may be wearying, the Red Sox recognize his importance to the lineup and are obviously going for the gusto this year, as evidenced by their monster $51.1 million bid to win negotiating rights for Japanese ace Daisuke Matsuzaka, not to mention their aggressive pursuit of free agent J.D. Drew.
"It would take a really creative deal'' to move Ramirez, Epstein said."

Peter here, and that last Theo quote says so much. The Red Sox, now that Manny and his irreplaceable thunderous bat and perfectly good leftfield defense (at Fenway) are RELATIVELY affordable, need not compromise. If a team out there wants
Manny, and many covet him, MAKE THEM PAY. He has Papi's back in our batting order, and he will not nor ever WILL come cheap. Think twice before you make the Boston Red Sox an offer. I'll put it differently. Buyers, BE PREPARED. There! That's exactly how I feel. How 'bout you?

20 Comments:

At 11/16/2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manny will change his mind ... and he will want to stay with the Red Sox. He always does.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I hope..with you.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, so many variables...but the important thing? Our Sox are in the driver's seat. EVERY club now has the bucks to make Manny Manny...and we will take only good "club improving" offers. We are in the driver's seat. My new car will be in early March (oh, way big change of subject)...black with black...my first since August 2003......and you know what? I have no idea why I wanted you to know. But I did...a new Audi, heretofor not even imagined in our United States. YET. I guess I wanted you to know...and everyone! November, right before the harshness but beauty of wintertime travel is not the best time to settle in to a new car. So, I didn't.....I didn't. This will be a March arrival......

 
At 11/16/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I ALMOST made sense...but, hey, that's me. Take me or leave me...hopefully the former.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manny's a good fit with the Sox, but I think his options outside of the Sox are severely limited. Most can't afford him and others wouldn't put up with him.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

A new Audi? Sounds cool ... what model - Q7, A4 A8? I thought winter time weather stuck around longer in your neck of the woods. Late March delivery?

 
At 11/16/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

This will be THE new Audi TT model...way re-designed....much like a Porsche...not to be seen in this USA until March-ish...Mine will be one of the first few of the trucks...black with black leather,,,18 inch wheels, All wheel Quattro drive....and as soon as I have a pic, I will post! Thanks BFW...this will be one fast, unbelievably handling little race car....the kind I love...and room for Novy.....kidding....but she's the best.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/16/2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Sul...so many things will come into play, but the bottom line? Any team that wants Manny's services will have to pay dearly. If not, he is our cleanup, Papi's back, batter. And I couldn't be happier.

 
At 11/16/2006 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Audi, huh ? Don't you live in snow country ? Is that safe ?

 
At 11/16/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, thank you for caring. But the Audi "Quattro" all-wheel drive system gets me from here in CT. to the snow blinded mountains..anywhere. Since the mid-80s, Audi has had the 4 wheel (all wheel drive) thing down to a science....

 
At 11/16/2006 2:59 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, I like it that you care...I can be there in 22 hours...and you know I'm kidding. More snow is needed to test out a "Quattro." But....with me behind the wheel, in control, all four wheels working with the driver's (mine) hand on the wheel, well, that's just the best...I love your comments.....

 
At 11/16/2006 3:03 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

As do everyone's.....and driving in the snow can sometimes be fun..sans dumbies....

 
At 11/16/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

THE new Audi TT ... now that does sound like fun! I drove a Miata for 11 years, so I know what a blast sports cars are ... especially the twists & turns of curvey roads (if you can get everyone else out of your way). You'll be in sports car heaven! I'll look forward to pix.

I like the duo of Manny & Papi for '07. I think it would take a lot to move Manny out.

 
At 11/16/2006 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a little less than 22 hours ... if memory serves ... LOL !

 
At 11/16/2006 3:26 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And this is a TT of a different color...not boxy looking, with a huge engine, and room for none (almost) in the back...I'll keep you posted. Oh, and it incoperates a rear spoiler that shows itself at 70 MPH, and then
REALLY shows itself over 100....but I would never do that...(right!). Thanks for the comments..And black with black, 18 inch wheels, and I cannot wait! A sexy looking car to be......

 
At 11/16/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Novy, thanks..though I won't say why. But you will buried in snow soon. and right now, before the new Audi, I drive a BRIGHT yellow (my fav. color) Audi S4.....with all wheel drive. 8 cylinders..gas milege? Don't ask.... If you get stuck somewhere, and I hope not, I'll be there.
Smile, and thanks for reading.
It's just me..

 
At 11/16/2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/16/2006 4:35 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy..I need directions,,plus, I'm kiddiing...I wish I could be so lucky. Enjoy this upcoming Thursday night... love ya , and all of my readers, forever. For ALWAYS.

 
At 11/16/2006 7:12 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

you are right it will take alot of money to get him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home