Friday, November 17, 2006

Clemens As Closer? A Long Shot, To Say The Least

This from the Friday Globe, and then a quick quip from me.......

"Don't rule out Roger Clemens joining the Sox staff. If the Sox can convince Clemens to waive his family clause request (he goes home to Texas between starts) and come to Boston as a closer, it would solve Boston's biggest need."

Peter here...and this has to be thought of as a real long shot. But if Roger does waive his family clause and wants to finish his career exactly where he started it all those wonderful years ago, my thoughts turn to seeing him warming up in the bullpen, readying himself to come in to pitch the ninth inning in a 3-2 game that DMat started and pitched 8 brilliant innings. Clemens in the ninth....a nice wish. But talks have been made with Houston and their Brad Lidge. We'll see. But one thing is certain. The Boston Red Sox are determined to spend money bigtime to fill the holes. The rotation is set. Rightfield might soon be set too. Shortstop? Lugo's name is front and center. We're all set at third and first. So.....can you say middle and set up relief? Oh, I just did.
More of this red-hot hot stove action daily! Right here....your favorite pit stop. And that makes me one happy guy. Thank you. And to my nephew Skip, who just told me is a regular reader of PRSF, welcome. You're the best! Ladies, he's taken!

18 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind seeing Clemens returning ... AT ALL ... it would be great to see him in the closer roll.

... hmmm, yummm ... we are having a catered turkey lunch today at work ... and the smell is heavenly ! Sorry ... had to share !

 
At 11/17/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Novy, you are making me hungry...any chance of a hand delivered take-out? I'm just about to hit your blog on my blog jog. One of my favorite parts of the day. Yes, another compliment. I'll stop. If you want. And it is still so warm here, but not for long! Take care, you.

 
At 11/17/2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks P ... it's always nice to read your comments at my place ... *GASP* Maybe I should put out my Thanksgiving welcome mat ! HAHA!

 
At 11/17/2006 11:44 AM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

//Don't rule out Roger Clemens joining the Sox staff//

No, no and thrice no. There have to be better options than bringing this psycho back. He should hang up his glove and watch his kid develop in the Astros farm system.

 
At 11/17/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

John, said it was a long shot...the closer options are as active as the flu bug germs....ha...that almost sounded funny. And Novy, well, wow. I'll bring the sweets...

 
At 11/17/2006 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A long shot indeed. That's probably putting it mildly, even. I know some people would like to see him back, but he's so focused on the family time that I don't see him leaving them to be in Boston. And that half-year business will not fly!

 
At 11/17/2006 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn these people for putting family first !

I'm just kidding !

 
At 11/17/2006 4:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

We'll see...I think WMP and more going to the Astros for Lidge makes way more sense. Bye Wily...learn how to catch the ball..I play a better outfield. I do!

 
At 11/17/2006 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and once we get rid of him, he'll have a great season ... but that's a chance I am willing to take!

 
At 11/17/2006 4:45 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

HaHa..and I just replied to your great email.

 
At 11/17/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And he still won't catch the darn ball...hey Wily, just squeeze the glove AFTER the ball lands in it...oops, that might be too difficult. Thanks Nov....

 
At 11/17/2006 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would involve thinking ... and nevermind ... he also needs to remember to MOVE towards the ball ... to catch it. it's not just going to magically LAND in his glove ...

 
At 11/17/2006 7:16 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

roger as a closer?I am not sure about that.He is great as a starter.
-kaylee

 
At 11/17/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

:)

 
At 11/17/2006 9:40 PM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

If Clemens came, (and I don't know where the money would come from) I would rather see him start and send Schilling back to the pen (even though that didn't work out all that well in '05) than have Clemens close. If they really could get Clemens....you would really have to think about sending Paps back to close for one more year ;)

Unless you wanted the knuckle closer again....

Tim
Red Sox Times

 
At 11/17/2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Tim Daloisio said...

Now I am daydreaming again...

1. Clemens
2. Schilling
3. Matsuzaka
4. Beckett
5. Papelbon

WOW!!!

I don't care if we don't have a closer....but toss the name Gagne at the back of that and let Wake pitch one inning of knuckle every day....

Tim
Red Sox Times

 
At 11/18/2006 6:45 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Tim, I think Clemens is such a long shot (1%) that I didn't even put any rotations to paper. I like what we have now for the rotation....just get the closer and a couple set-up guys.

 
At 11/18/2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Tim, your blog is great...I bookmarked you for everyday visits, as I hope you did mine. Have a great weekend!!
And to my readers, click on his link...GOOD STUFF!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home