Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Briefly, The Latest Manny News......And Sox News In General

This is from ESPN'S Peter Gammons. The latest team to enter the Manny fray is the Chicago White Sox. They join a list that includes the Giants, Padres and Dodgers. Now get this. It is said the White Sox are trying to trade for Angels' starter Ervin Santana, who then could be flipped to Boston along with 23 year old righthander Brandon McCarthy (thank you Hartford Courant for that). The Sox are expected to complete the trade for JD Drew by the weekend, and then really gear up their attempts to move Manny next week, during the winter meetings in Orlando.
I don't know how I feel about this, but two frontline pitchers for a player who literally quit on his team last year might be acceptable. As reader Katiee said in a subtle but smart comment in an earlier post, and I quote her....

"I'm really trying to tune out all the news right now until I hear something final."

Katiee, I wish I could tune all this out too. The JDD dilemna. The DMat money offer chasm and the Manny lunacy, not to mention holes at SS and closer, and the rest of the bullpen. So much to do, and so much talk. Next week could and should be monumentally full of news of all kinds...heartbreaking and uplifting. As Billy Joel said, "It's either sadness or euphoria." He was talking about life itself in the song, one of my favorite Billy songs, and an early one too, called SUMMER HIGHLAND FALLS. Here, the context is Red Sox highs and/or lows. And it seems we'll all know so much more sooner rather than later. And now, the Padres are in the mix, but I will draw the line right here because there are too many this's and that's in the mix. When the news is more refined, more definite, I will chime in. I always do! Count on me...I hope you always do.
And this gets me back to Katiee's comment. If I could ignore all this and wait for something real, something concrete to be announced, I would. But I have a responsibility to my readers to report, in my own way, every nuance of this sometimes mangled and sometimes glorious life as a Red Sox fan in the off season......enjoy the ride with me! And I will say this official "Peter" comment...."Oy vey!!" That says it all!

10 Comments:

At 11/29/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I for one, will be SO VERY IRRITATED if Manny gets traded....

 
At 11/29/2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that ... I don't want to lose Manny ...

 
At 11/29/2006 3:32 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I too, but the Sox think differently...he did QUIT on us last year....

 
At 11/29/2006 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if Manny gets traded I'm making my sad face until I feel it's appropriate not too. and omg I'm famous lol. This whole not knowing anything thing is killing me

 
At 11/29/2006 5:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're fuNNy!

 
At 11/29/2006 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santana AND McCarthy? Oooh, they are sweetening up the deal, aren't they?

I'd rather keep Manny, but those are some great pitchers. And what do we need?

Pitching!

 
At 11/29/2006 5:41 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

trade him if they are going to lol.I just waant them to make up there mind

 
At 11/29/2006 7:17 PM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

and yes what you said helped me
-kaylee

 
At 11/30/2006 6:42 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm happy Kaylee...now you have a list of your own bookmarks! And Laura, I's rather have Manny in the line-up unless the return is stupendous, not stupid.

 
At 11/30/2006 8:05 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

2 frontline pitchers, one a closer or ultimate set-up man, and one a starter, makes me think..........I didn't even mention any of the latest Thursday Manny stuff in my first Thursday post, because until, as Katiee said, something is MORE than rumor, I don't want to rehash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home