Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Baseball Post Season Ratings So Far? BUSTED!

Thus from the LA Times Calender...today....Tuesday October 17.......

***Postseason TV ratings plummet, thanks in part to rain and short series. Selig insists it's all good.***

By Larry Stewart, Times Staff Writer

The television ratings for postseason baseball on Fox appear to be dropping faster than a Tom Glavine sinker.
The five first-round games televised by the network averaged a 4.9 rating, down from last year's 6.6.
Game 2 of the National League Championship Series between the New York Mets and the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday night couldn't beat an old game show. Or even a new one.
Game 4 Sunday night came in No. 4, well behind the front-runner, "Desperate Housewives."
Commissioner Bud Selig, who keeps a close eye on baseball's ratings, doesn't feel desperate, though.
"Under the circumstances, we're pleased with the overall ratings," he said Monday.

Peter here. With an imagined conversation with the man himself....... "Mr. Commisioner, I'm sorry to wake you. But please, as your Press Secretary, may I make a suggestion? Please sir, in the future try not to fall asleep while you are being quoted in the print media. Or ANY media. Anywhere or anytime you are in the public eye. And especially when you are actually GIVING a quote to a reporter. Thank you very much. We'll spin this quote so that it works FOR us. No problem."

Peter here, as me...I think. And these ratings are even worse because there is a major market team in the mix. We'll see if as we get further along and closer to the World Series, the ratings don't pop up. But for now? Not a great return for all those Fox dollars. To say the least.

8 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger Amy said...

it has always surprised me that as teams dwindle down to fewer and fewer in the playoffs that we expect the ratings to rise. I don't care about the Mets or the Cardinals, and frankly, if it weren't the Tigers, I wouldn't care about that series, either, so frankly, I'm about done watching baseball altogether. Besides, there's football on now!!

 
At 10/17/2006 11:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know, but I'd like to see a great World Series match-up, seven games, with the Tigers, a team that has not done it all for so many years....and their fans, who are so vocally in the moment. 2006 means the world to them...much like us in that magic year of 2004. Faith rewarded for us. Their turn? Let's find out who they will play. Please let it NOT be the Cardinals....ENOUGH OF THEM.

 
At 10/17/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Oh, and hi Amy. I hope all is going well!

 
At 10/17/2006 3:03 PM, Blogger laura said...

I know, it's not a big surprise that ratings aren't that good. I want the Mets and Tigers to get to the WS, but since they aren't my favorite team, I'm going to watch TV shows instead of the games. I will watch a Game 7 though!

 
At 10/17/2006 3:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm sure there are great TV shows...goodness knows I have enough of them saved on my DVR....thanks Laura, and Amy,

 
At 10/17/2006 3:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

and TBS!!! WOW!!!!!

 
At 10/17/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

As long as Buck & Mc Dimbulb are doing these games, more people are being turned off by them.

 
At 10/18/2006 6:48 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I should have said TNT....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home