Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Baseball Goes On...Without Us

The Yankees used their powerful one-of-a-kind lineup combined with potent pitching, starting and relieving, to bash the Tigers 8-4. Also on the busy Tuesday that was, the Cards won behind a home run by Pujols and sparkling pitching while the A's won on the road in Minnesota behind Frank Thomas' two home runs. I'm rooting for the Twins but I find it hard to imagine the World Series being played in that awful cavern called the Metrodome. Barry Zito took care of them yesterday.
Here in Connecticut, life is tough this time of year when the Yankees are playing and the Red Sox are not. It's different than points North and East, where 9 of 10 are ardent Sox fans. Down here in the Hartford area it's a 50-50% mix, and the summerlong rivalries between neighbors and friends, even people walking down the street, have morphed into a "hold your nose up in the air" type of disdain for all things Red Sox. They're better than us now, and we're not even worth a second look or a casual hello. Part of baseball? Yes. But it's not an easy part. It would be better if the Yankees were sidelined also, but they've put together a monster lineup and look stronger now than they have all season. The haves and the have nots. I'll take the former. Wait 'till next year. Yeah, but it ain't easy.

7 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger BS Memorial said...

Albert Belle?

 
At 10/04/2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Frank Thomas was the Athletics Homer-Basher.

 
At 10/04/2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

&, for we who patronize Red Sox-Friendly, Anti-Yankees Outposts, we remain ever Anti-Yankees:

A Time-Tested, Weather-Beaten, NY Mets Cap, is my choice of headgear, today;

@ least, I won't look like some "Yuppified October Arrivista", who wouldn't know Robinson Cano from Robinson Crusoe.

 
At 10/04/2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you guys!! And BS, tonight, LOST. Psyched? I am. I'd love to see you comment again on each episode. Possible? Stay well...and thanks ML, too.

 
At 10/04/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thank you again. I repaired my post, and I appreciate the feedback. Now, we will learn more about "The Others." Tonight. ABC at 9. BS, if you ever want to publish an after-Lost post here, it would be great. There will be 6 straight new episodes, followed by a three month hiatus. Please let me (us) know. And thanks. We all were fans of your expert analysis. Hi to you know who. Peter

 
At 10/04/2006 7:55 PM, Blogger Katiee said...

yea so I have a song from Rent stuck in my head now but yea I have to do a how to speech and I almost did how to watch a baseball game on fox without jumping out my window didn't think my teacher would like it though

 
At 10/05/2006 6:40 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Haha..I would have liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home