Monday, August 28, 2006

September Is Right Here. Upon Us THIS Friday

And the Red Sox and Red Sox Nation are wounded. Mortally? NO,not yet. We'll have a much better idea when Friday's September start arrives, and we'll have one game under our belts. One of four with Boston killer (this year, so far) Toronto. But if we don't start winning on a much more consistant basis, say 2 of every 3, we are in deepening dog doo. When will it make sense to shut down Timmy Wakefield for good rather than take the chance of him hurting himself when that's the last thing we'd want? And while we're 7 or so games out of any chance for post season play? The next week and a half will answer that question, and I will pose the same question when it comes to Manny. He is hurting. We know that know. When the first reports surfaced, my first reaction was, "Oh no, more Manny being Manny when we need him the most? My anti-Manny comments were few (2) and quickly updated when I found out that the club had ordered an MRI, a step they or any club would not take except if the fears and uncertainty were there. Luckily, there was no actual structural damage, so Manny will be the one who knows when Manny will be able to go from one game to the next. To take the chance of causing a more serious injury with continued playing? When the team is out so many games? A tough question which will be made much easier to answer with continued .500 baseball. But we do not want Manny to blow out his knee. We all agree with that. And as for comments directed to me after my anti-Manny article (look back 8 days or so, you'll find them), I did not come to my opinion, (anti- Manny such as it was and quickly made more clear in the very next post), by or because of reading any other Boston sportswriters, names all known to everybody. When I expressed my opinion of Manny it was based on his past history, his "Mannyness", quirky and confounding as it has been the last few years. So no, Tim. While ALL your comments are based in negativity towards me, maybe it would be better that if in the future you want to attack me, and attack me for the sake of attacking me, keep your comments to yourself. Unless your interpretations of said future comments have a real factual basis that I missed. But to attack just because, well because I have no idea why, well, ssshhhh. I'm glad you read me, and your comments are welcome anytime. As long as they're not written just to be negative.
Back to the Sox. With Lester in Boston, WMP out for a undetermined time, and the other injuries that we know all too well, it's simple. We have to win games. And starting now. A tall order. Given the state of the club right now, today, yes. A very tall order indeed. But I have faith. And that unwavering faith has been with me, been a part of me, for decades. Anyone who suggests otherwise is just not making sense. And so? We win. Tonight. And we get used to it. Or Friday will be here in the blink of an eye. Thank you for your continued support and readership. It means so much.

4 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Beazer said...

Peter, I'll be at Fenway this weekend (not Thursday or Friday, but Saturday through Monday!) with a gang of folks and we plan on being UP and supportive! This team isn't dead yet and we'll be cheering every pitch from now through October 1st!

Take care,
Cyn :-)

 
At 8/28/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Me too, and beyond if we get there. I had trouble posting a comment on your blog...did you get my emails? Love ya! Peter

 
At 8/28/2006 6:10 PM, Blogger BS Memorial said...

OK, so let's see if I can figure this out.

Upon hearing that Manny had left a game with an injury, your immediate assumption was not (like in the case of your fanboy crush Varitek) that he was legitimately hurt, your first assumption was that he was "Manny being Manny" or whatever unoriginal bullshit line you used. Instead of giving one of your own the benefit of the doubt, you chose to go the Shaughnessy route and play "guilty until proven innocent." DESPITE the fact that Manny has never faked an injury- not once that has ever been proven beyond sourceless speculation.

Yet I'M the 'negative asshole'? That's rich.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So no, Tim. While ALL your comments are based in negativity towards me
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You sound like an overly-sensitive brat when you say stuff like this.

Normal people like to debate and discuss things they're passionate about, not engage in a nodding "YAY!" fest over and over about their favorite team. What on earth do you have a comments section for if it's not for engaging in some entertaining debate?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
But to attack just because, well because I have no idea why, well, ssshhhh.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I attacked re: Manny because it's people like you that perpetuate this idea that he's a lazy, no-good, injury faking asshole. So even though the reality is that this and many other times he was actually hurt and playing through it, it will enter into the "Manny being Manny!" file for people like you to use next time he's hurt but you'd rather assume otherwise.

That bothers me. It bothers me that a significant portion of the fanbase isn't interested in him being one of the three greatest hitters in the team's history, instead, they're interested in him being a lazy malcontent so they can tear him down like they've done to many players like him. It's fucking pathetic, and considering it, I hardly blame him for wanting to be traded every offseason. Shit like assuming he's faking an injury doesn't exactly foster a loving atmosphere for the guy.

Don't be so uptight. If you've got some opinions, defend them instead of getting all PMS-y and upset. It's not the end of the world when someone disagrees with you.

Also- no more using my real name in your posts, please.

 
At 8/29/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BS, sorry about the real name. Regarding everything else, you seem to go out of your way to be negative. Anyone who has read your previous comment would agree...the words are there! I'd appreciate it if you can keep your comments to yourself. I've only asked one other person to 'butt out," but he was a heckler who liked to cuss. I thank you in advance, and again, I'm sorry about using your first name. Take care, enjoy what's left of the season. And no. I'm not going to go point by point through your comment and rip it to shreds. I concentrate on the positive things in life. You see, I have to. But that's my business. if the time comes and I want or need to let my readers know, then I will. Thanks. Bye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home