Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Right Field Disaster Waiting To Happen

Right field at Fenway Park is the toughest field to play defensively. No debate needed. It's not even close. Wily Mo Pena is the worst defensive player on the club, not including pitchers. It's not even close. No debate needed. The two mix like oil and water. And yet with the arm problems that Trot Nixon is having, oil and water have to exist. Together. There's no other way to get WMP's bat in there. But this time, it cost us a game. Two bobbles in two days. He makes us look bad. And a great effort by Schilling was wasted. Many people are pointing the finger at Francona for bringing Timlin back for a second inning. I think that was part of the problem too. His explanation, while Paps was warming up, proves his pitcher management selection leaves much to be desired. I don't get it either. Isn't that how we won game number two against the Orioles? Let Pap pitch one or two and wait until we score. That might have worked last night, but the misplay by WMP negated everything. These are huge games. This loss hurt. Bigtime. I hope we don't play ourselves into the position where we would have to win four of five against the Yankees, because it ain't going to happen. The Yankees and the Red Sox split their games, at least over the last three years. Having to sweep them would mean the Sox are a team in trouble. I guess we'll see. But for there to be a meaningful September, these games of the second half of August cannot be frittered away. Definition of fritter? Last night.

12 Comments:

At 8/16/2006 9:47 AM, Blogger Julie said...

argh, these are games we need to win. last night was a game we definately had a chance in. i'm usually a wily mo fan because of his bat and his personality, but right now his defense seems to be a glaring problem.
-julie

 
At 8/16/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I think for the first time in a long time I'm actually glad that I have no way of watching these games right now. I think I would be throwing things at my tv.

 
At 8/16/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Seriously, I was annoyed enough before I read about Wily Mo and the dropped ball.
I didn't know that had happened.
Maybe I shouldn't go watch it tonight.

Ah, who am I kidding. Of course I'm going to watch!
Go Sox, dammitt!

 
At 8/16/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Frittered?
NO!

P---ed away?

I hate to say yes, but I must!

 
At 8/16/2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Amy, I've come close to throwing the TV out the window, but it started pleading with me in its Hi Def way. It said, "Take the radio. PLEASE!"
Julie and Jess, it would be nice to be within 5 games (loss column) by the time the Yanks come to town. I for one am glad tomorrow is an off day.
And Michael, fritter sounds like lunch! Your word is much more on point. I could think of a few others. Many.

 
At 8/16/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger Iain said...

I think Wily Mo is getting the short end of the stick here. OK, he dropped a ball he should have caught, but a) it was a tough chance (tough enough for it to be not scored an error, b) even had he caught it, there's no guarantee - given his speed and angle of approach - that he would have gotten the out at home, and c) he had the presence of mind to throw to first to get an out.

I think the problem has more to do with the 6 measly hits we eked out over 9 innings than it has to do with one defensive miscue in right field.

 
At 8/16/2006 11:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Iain, TOTAL agreement here. The stage was set, the plot too thick to stir, when WM's miscue, such as it was, happened. Seeds of destruction turned into plants of evil. Scared myself. Read THE RUINS. Out in hardcover now. And near the top of the fiction charts. Disturbingly great.

 
At 8/16/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And when I say disturbingly, I mean it. Already scooped up for a major motion picture, by Ben Stiller, this was one of the most hauntingly tough reading experiences I've ever had. And I devour books weekly. This was no fair...too horrifying.

 
At 8/16/2006 12:30 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Wily Mo Pena:

Notice the Initials;

WMP, same as Windows Media Player;

Both have a tendency to crash, if you know what I mean.

 
At 8/16/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger HorshamScouse said...

WMP, pronounced wimp. Jerry Remy, being kind, suggested he was thinking of the throw before he caught the ball. I think he wimped out of the catch because he might run into the angled wall down the right field line. Compare and contrast Lowell's catch in the stands last week.

 
At 8/16/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Or.........TROT"S defense...ALL OF THE TIME! My goodness! We ain't going anywhere without him. And without him we might be, for a long time.

 
At 8/16/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Disagree anyone? I didn't think so. Have a great night everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home