Thursday, August 17, 2006

Five Games With The Yankees....A Look Back At The Last Five Game Set

This from today's Globe. And a comment from your's truly afterwards.

"The last time the Yankees came here for a five-game set, in 1959, the Sox swept all five."

**Peter here, and yes, that was 47 years ago. I wasn't around, the club was mediocre, but I thought a little history might get our hearts and souls working overtime. In anticipation of the historic (?) four days to come. Taking 3 of 5 makes sense. Taking 4 of 5 is what my heart is telling me. A sweep?? Here we go....ready? Wishful and wonderful thoughts of late in the game on Monday, having already won the first four, fists pumping and the sell-out crowd standing, pleading for Paps to finish off our hated enemy, with a 3 run lead and two outs in the ninth. The count...2-2, 2 outs, bases empty, Paps looking so strong. Feel the energy. The crowd, the Fenway Faithful, is as one. Oh mercy! And the pitch............on the outside corner for a game ending called third strike, and a sweep by the first place Boston Red Sox!!! As Jackie Gleason used to say, "How sweet it is!" NORTON!!! TO THE MOON, ALICE!!

I can dream. And you can dream with me. Hope the smiles were there when you were reading. I did my best. My very best. And the smiles are my reward. So I thank you. And I love each and every one of you, my readers. What would I do without you?

5 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 10:33 AM, Blogger Julie said...

wow peter
that would be... amazing
a five-game sweep. even 4 of 5 would have me stoked. as long as we win the series, really. gain some ground. a great series, at fenway, against the enemy, could be just what we need to break out of our mediocre slump.
we can do it
and go o's!
-julie

 
At 8/17/2006 10:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Julie, I am so with you. What I wrote is fiction, but the set up can come true by winning the first four. A tall order??? YES! But, stranger things have happened. And while writing about that last pitch from Paps, I heard the announcer's voices in my head. Enjoyable. Haunting. But that's me. Voices in my head into words on the blog.

 
At 8/17/2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And the voices were Ned Martin and Ken Coleman. They were the best together. A long long time ago.

 
At 8/17/2006 12:07 PM, Blogger Amy said...

dude, I'm starting to worry about you. LOL j/k I'm looking forward to catching as many of the games as ESPN might cover this weekend. this is the easiest way to make up some ground before September shows up at our door. GO RED SOX!!

 
At 8/17/2006 4:22 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

What......me worry? Almost always...I mean...never....I mean, yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home