Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Dad's Day Post...Just A Small Something About The Game Of Baseball

I'm sure you know this. I love the Red Sox...have all my life. From '67, as a small kid who probably did not know what was going on at Fenway on my first visit there, watching a team picked for 8th or 9th (one division only in the AL and NL, when there were true pennant races with no wild cards). To the 1975 Sox, my heros still.........Looie, Spaceman, Jim Ed, Freddie, and so many more. And after sweeping Oakland, having to play the mighty Reds, and BOY, were they mighty, in a World Seies that went all the way, and squeezed every atom of emotion and love and respect and just pure baseballness out of me, and every Sox lover. Heartbreak. Disapointment. But a feeling of being so proud. Tears too, yep. And then '78. Heartbreak in 3 and a half seconds. A little breeze, once gentle, then firm, blowing out innocently enough towards the Monster. And a fly ball floating towards that wall, with Yaz, a pound or two of the glove, camped under it. And watching his knees sag as the ball gently nestled into the net.
Sure, those are the downs of being a Red Sox fan. But they are outnumbered a zillion to one by the moments of elation, sheer jump in the air joy. Moments to be remembered for the rest of my life. And boy, I have so many of those. Lucky? You bet! And then there was 2004. That's all I need to say about that season.
I'm slowly getting to a point. And it's been fun. The words flowed through my head just as if I had a Bush-like little earpiece transmitting what I should write into my left ear. Left? Hey, that's where my voice is. I hope everyone has a great Father's Day. Kiss your Dad, if you can. I kissed my Dad's headstone. That was nice. I could feel him all around me. Be happy. Is there anything more important? Thanks for reading my words. It means so much.

14 Comments:

At 6/18/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Beazer said...

Peter, I'm so sorry for you loss - regardless of when it was, it's never easy to lose a parent.

The older I get the more I use Mother's and Father's Day to really appreciate the fact that I have both my parents with me.

Much love to you, Peter. Take care!

 
At 6/18/2006 11:25 AM, Blogger BklynSoxFan said...

Sweet, Peter. I'm sure your dad was elated a few times in October of 2004.

 
At 6/18/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks to both of you. And enjoy every day. That's the best, isn't it? Oh, and go Schill tonight.

 
At 6/18/2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Ah Peter. I had just called my Dad then I read your post and wanted to call him again.
Take care.

 
At 6/18/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Jess. And now we here in CT. know hot.

 
At 6/18/2006 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Peter and a happy fathers day to you and yours.

Again, great post.

 
At 6/18/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Just a repeat of the feelings above.

Good Job.

 
At 6/18/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

So many thanks, just for reading.

 
At 6/18/2006 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter,
Nice post. Hope you're having a great Father's Day.

John
RSN UK

 
At 6/18/2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the Father's Day post, found via Cyn's blog at Red Sox Chick. Greetings from the MLBLogosphere. - Mark / http://mlblogs.mlblogs.com

 
At 6/18/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger The Couch Potato said...

Peter -
Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by earlier. Well said, my friend.

Couch

 
At 6/18/2006 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog pete, I am sure your dad enjoyed all off 2004

 
At 6/19/2006 11:18 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

My Da passed in '00:
As if with a michievious smile, he said "Son, we're going to see a baseball game";

I said "Great, when are we going to see the Yankees" & @ 1st, disappointed;

He, my bro, & I, went to the new place, which has no poles; The Loge Box Seats were great @ $3.50, on September 2nd, 1966, when The Mets lost to the Phillies, 6-0; This Ball Club was bad, but was becoming the nucleus for the 1969 World Championship vs The Orioles;

Seaver came the next season; Got to see the "Triple Play" scene being shot for "The Odd Couple" movie; Remembered "Batting Helmut Night", which ocurred exactly 2 years before Neil Armstrong stepped on The Moon;

I remembered these things this Father's Day Weekend, as I was paying $9 to sit in seats, which were $1.30 when I was younger;

By the time we 1st Went to Yankee Stadium, for Old Timers Day, it was $.75 for The Bleachers, but I had grown to dislike them & then, like now, Yankee Stadium lives up to its' nickname "The Toilet";

The 40th Anniversary of the 1st Ever Game, will be @ a Ball-Park, Quite-Similar to the Place where Mum & Da, watched their 1st MLB Games-It will be similar for me, as the memories are waiting;

Saturday, September 2nd, 2006, Fenway Park, Section 16, Row 3 Seat 1, Infield Grandstand, as I join The Mardi Gras on Yawkey Way;

Let's Go Red Sox; Let's Go Mets;

Thahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yankees SUCK!

 
At 6/19/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Great Story as always, Peter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home