Monday, February 06, 2006

Save Some Of Those Zingers, Alex!

From The Post Gazette, of Pittsburgh, PA., momentary football capital of the world......"Alex Gonzalez hit a three-run homer off Jorge Sosa in the top of the ninth inning, lifting Venezuela to an 11-9 victory against the visiting Dominican Republic late Saturday night in the Caribbean Series."
Hey Alex, save some of those taters for Fenway. But a great job he is doing in the green water series cannot be denied. And I call it the green water series because green is the color of the 88 degree water inside the reefs surrounding most of the islands in that beautiful part of the world. The reefs provide relative safety for the bathers and swimmers lucky enough to be able to immerse themselves in the bath water temperature salt water, and make for great skin (snorkel) and scuba (with air tanks) diving. In fact, one mile off the North shore of our former house in St. Croix is a small island called Buck Island, where in 1961 JFK did some diving on the reef there and was so impressed, he made it a United States underwater national park, protected by all the laws a National Park deserves. I remember the island so well. One half mile long and maybe 100 yards wide and uninhabited, it was my first and only close-up meeting, uneventful, thank God, with a baraccuda. Talk about scary teeth! I flew into the boat, although I remained calm and swam slowly until I reached it. Then I developed the power of flight, if only for a few scant moments. Although I smile as I remember, it was his needle toothed smile I had the problem with. Wow, from Alex Gonzales to a baraccuda. I'm rambling, but that's alright. There's more of me than meets the eye! Just not to a baraccuda, I guess. Phew!!

3 Comments:

At 2/06/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger JessieE said...

Peter! I've been to Buck Island...in fact, we sailed my bro-in-law's boat from the St. Croix Yacht Club there, and spent the day on the beach, the night on the boat, and another day on the beach! My hubby swam back and forth to the boat to make more drinks! It was lovely. I saw no barracudas. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

 
At 2/06/2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

There's so much I can tell you about my years on St. Croix Wow, the Yacht Club was in our front yard, although down in altitude because we were up on a hill. Small world. I knew there was something about you other than we both know good old Reb! She might not have mentioned this, but......oops, gotta go. I will write you later. For real
I love that you read my blog. Signed with a smile, Peter

 
At 2/06/2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Jess. I'll email you later. So good to hear from you. Your Cruzan friend, Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home