Thursday, January 12, 2006

And One Makes Four.

Julian Tavarez is a Red Sox. He, along with Guillermo Mota and Rudy (I can hear the cheers now. Rudy Rudy) Seanez, will join Mike Timlin for late inning pitching time. So much, if not all, of this delicate balance is predicated on Keith Foulke recovering his at times almost unhittableness of 2003 and 2004. If he is back and effective, and that's a hell of a big if, I think everything and everybody will fall into place as the worst bullpen of the American league in 2005 transforms itself phoenix-like into an effective but beautiful machine designed to shut other teams up, and shut 'em down. Thank you Mr. Springsteen for the verbage.
There is another side of the coin. That being Foulkie's return to mediocrity. Unthinkable, but we must ponder because who is to say his change up will be back to fooling hitters by being set up with fastballs that have regained their zip. Change of speed and location come down to two knees, both needed to stablize and balance the body as it moves toward the plate. We'll find out if Keith Foulke has the two knees needed soon enough. Until then, there's a deal coming sometime. We have too many starting pitchers. I am basing my ''06 outlook on one sure thing. Jon Papelbon will be in the starting rotation. I've been saying this since Theo left. It was what he wanted. Now the club is said to still be welcoming his advice. Hey club, Papelbon belongs in the 2006 rotation. If anything else happens and this is not to be the case, part of the Sox' off season plans did not work. It's just that we don't know what these plans are. But more key than anything other that a healthy Curt Schilling is the back to stopper status of Foulkie. There lies our fortunes.

4 Comments:

At 1/12/2006 12:17 PM, Blogger momula said...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the messages posted on my blog. It's nice to know that someone is actually reading it! On the other hand, sometimes I don't want to think about anyone reading that stuff... I just want to write it down and get it out of my mind.

Probably because I don't know a lot about most of the technical side of baseball, I get impatient with talk of the team during the winter. I have been studying "Watching Baseball" by Jerry Remy - I'm learning a lot - but talking about 'what will be' seems like a guessing game. Who knows how Foulke will progress? How old is he, anyway? Can we expect "the decline"? As a Boston fan, what are your feelings about Roger Clemens? I must dig up the 10 page essay I wrote about how Roger's life has entwined with mine over several years and post it on my blog ... a very select audience with lots of time on their hands will enjoy that one....

Keep in touch,
Tricia

 
At 1/12/2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Tricia, thanks for stopping by. Those questions about the Sox would take ages to answer, and here is not the right spot. An email would be better. There's more to me than the Sox too. I'll stay in touch..

 
At 1/12/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And I'd enjoy a Reader's Digest version of that essay, but how will you ever find it. My email addy is in my profile. At least I think it is. I'll check. Maybe I'll learn something about me.

 
At 1/12/2006 8:07 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I personally don't think you need to know much about the technical side of baseball to blog about it. I am not a statistics gal, but I think I've got my head around the sport pretty good. Anyway, I find something to write about the Red Sox almost every day of my life, regardless.

By the way, I have Rem Dawg's book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You really do hear him coming through the pages. Excellent job, Rem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home