Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Will Johnny Damon Be Liked? I Think So.

I was over at Jere's blog site (www.letsgosox.blogspot.com) and he seems to think that the Yankee fans will find it hard to actually like and accept Johnny Damon, the reason being that he will forever be considered an ex- Red Sox and never a "true" Yankee. Stop over at Jere's...he might even put a poll up but at least read his post on the subject. To me , this is a slam dunk 4 of a kind (Aces) easy question to answer. Johnny, as we Sox fans know all too well, is a nice guy who people look at, guys AND ladies, and sorta fall in love with. His soft spoken ways and his quickness to compliment his teamates rather than take the spotlight make him easy to like, if not darnright love, in a guy way. I can't tell you how many times I've said a silent thank you to the powers that be whenever his shining moments happened. He was full of shining moments while playing for Boston. I'm truly sad that he's gone and am steadfast in my belief that as a few months, or years, go down the pike, upper Sox management will be to blame for what WILL be known as a complete and utter fiasco resulting in him wearing pinstripes. And you know what? Henry and company will have no excuse as to why they did what they did. I know that it was confusion and wrong decision making, in other words, NOT BEING ON THE BALL. But it's all been said, here and other places. It just has not sunk in to many of us, even those who think it has. Wait until his first trot out to center field in the home opener for the Yanks. You will see and hear a growing roar of standing people yelling their heads off. And when he laces the second pitch into the right centerfield gap for a double, or he works the pitcher for an eleven pitch walk, people there will go nuts, just as they will all year as their love for him grows. And when he makes a tremendous running catch in left center to rob someone of an extra base hit, the same thing will happen. He's a nice guy through and through, and everyone will pick up on that, Yankee fans or just us regular human beings. I'll miss you, Mr. Damon, centerfielder and leadoff man for the New York Yankess. And may you do well, unless you're playing us.

2 Comments:

At 12/29/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger Jere said...

I still say, A-Rod is a nice guy who guys and ladies all fell in love with, he came to the yankees, won the Most Valuable Player award, and all their fans told him to give the thing back.

Also, this is an unprecedented move, so we really won't know how they'll react til it happens. (Unprecedented meaning a Sox superstar who helped the Sox beat the yanks by going through them in the playoffs becoming a yank. Note, though, that Embree and Bellhorn were not accepted as yanks, either.)

And I have to believe that at the very least, a faction of yankee fans just wouldn't be able to root for the guy, under any circumstance. I obviously feel that faction will be bigger than you do.

Also, I really got the shaft, having commenters like you and Kristen commiserating with Sam, and nobody congratulates me, but it was my school who beat hers. Granted, she talks about hers a liiiiitle more than I do about mine. Anyway, buried by all the bad calls was a great Nebraska comeback. And you can trust my judgement on that one.

 
At 12/30/2005 6:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I wrote an email to you in response jer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home