Monday, December 12, 2005

A Simple Speeding Ticket?

There is no such thing. Upon getting my mail Saturday morning, my birthday morning no less, I received a letter from the Superior Court, state of Connecticut. Hmmm...is this addressed to me? I checked, and yes, it was. Ripping open the envelope on what was supposed to be a CAREFREE day, I read the official looking document that said, in effect, that I am to report to SUPERIOR Court on Thursday Jan. 5, 2006. Other than the summons # and docket #, there was nothing else.
Flash to this morning, after spending the weekend worrying/thinking about it. Great way to spend a weekend. My bank told me the check for $201 had cleared. By the way, I was going 54 in a 40 MPH zone, but what the hell, they had cashed the check uneventfully. So why did I have to go to court? I called the clerk for Superior Court, who nicely told me that the speeding ticket had triggered something that resulted in it being transfered to Superior Court for reasons that she did not have. To find out what, if anything, I was accused of, I would have to report to the prosecuter's office on Jan. 5th. FUCK THAT!!!! I wasn't going to wait 4 weeks to find out what my supposed offense was. I think I would REMEMBER getting arrested. Long story short, I sent a copy of the cashed check and the notification to appear in court to my personal and business lawyer, who told me not to worry, it was probably a clerical error. I hope so. Now I can file it more towards the back of my mind, where I am less likely to self destruct with worry.
Other than that it's been a great start to the week. Hey, it could have been worse. At least they cashed the check and it cleared, so the speeding ticket (first in 4 years) is in the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home